CDX2, CDS3, or CD555 with a view on long-term servicability?

The puck problem was only really sorted out with the “magnetic” one fitted to the 555. From the first CDS right up to the CDS3 using the three point rubber tubing it always softened up and caused a disc reading problem eventually. Never leaving the puck on the player helped or having two of them was the only way round it.
I had a non working lid on my fairly early 555 and the plastic gearing ( probably broke) was replaced by a metal one.
A bit off topic perhaps but see below!
I have two DR power supplies, one the origional uprated to DR, the other a new one.
On going discussions with my dealer to puchase an ND555 have so far not materialised. I have no interest in Tidal or other similar products. Simply want to play my CDs/LPs straight forwardly. CDs ripped to a server sound better than the origional is a common observation. To do that would cost quite a bit of money even with two existing 555PSs. I listen to a lot of classical music without clearly defined tracks which may cause server access problems?

The plastic spindle on my CD555 fell apart some years ago and it had to go back to Naim for a whole new mech replacement.

My CDS3 puck seems to be going strong - have had to ‘rotate the rubbers’ on at least one occasion.

We don’t hold any stock of the platters, so it’s a complete mech change I’m afraid.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks, Neil. I understand the discrepancy now between different owners’ experience of this (as well as the correct terminology!). It’s a shame that the whole mech has to be replaced for the want of a small piece of plastic.

1 Like

Yeah, that one didn’t pass the smell test after looking good. Beware of scams folks, it’s a jungle out there. Oh well, the hunt continues :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Suedkiez where do you live?

Edit: I just checked your profile!

Berlin

@Suedkiez the problem with shipping to Germany is that the CD555 comes in a BIG box which is great in terms of protection but it makes it really heavy. Insuring a parcel to the correct level is very expensive also. I would estimate that the cost of shipping with insurance for the player (weight over 20kg boxed) would be more than £100 if not £150. The trick is finding someone who will take it, someone who is reliable and someone who is prepared to shift boxes of that value and provide insurance. DHL is one of the only companies that do it and it would need to be their express service to minimise the transit time. Most sellers will not want all of that hassle I guess when there is still a strong market in the UK. I actually express shipped my CDS3 to Germany!

1 Like

Sure, I suppose it’s just easier. The dreaded shipping is a big problem right now because I, too, am not really comfortable with it. In normal times I would make the trip and pick it up rather than risking such a rare thing to shipping, but of course right now it’s a problem. I am under quarantine at this very moment due to a high-risk contact with a positive case at the workplace, I don’t need that again. I’m fine though and negative. So that’s another reason for postponing and a clearer head :slight_smile:

Edit: One would think the buyer would cover all shipping precautions though!

Its certainly the preferred option as a CD player if best not being dropped and you never know what happens when the couriers get hold of the package. Having said that if Naim service the player the only option is them sending it back to the dealer so I guess they are designed for some postage handling. The CD555 has a lot of transit bolts which do hold everything in place but you are right that collection is best. It took me almost 2 years to find this low use example but then I wanted the very best and had it serviced also! Thats just me though!

Somewhere, in another thread I believe, someone from Naim staff wrote that the CDs should be shipped only when really necessary, and that shipping tends not to be kind to the mechs. Yeah, I suppose they get shipped to the dealer as well, but still I am wary. And I’m sure you will find someone closer, but I will certainly be watching if not! :slight_smile:

I saw that post too - it seemed contradictory.

I asked support@Naim about servicing my kit, including a CDS3 and was told “We do recommend that all Naim products are serviced every 10 years.”

I then asked “would you mind confirming it is recommended to send CDS3 for service? Conflicting recommendations prevail on the Naim forum” and was told “The 10 year service recommendation also applies to the CDS3”.

I have seen 10, 12 and 15 year service intervals recommended on this forum, I have also seen recommendations to never service unless its broken. The “official” recommendation I received from Naim Support is that all Naim products are serviced every 10 years, including CDP.

I will be sending mine for service (not repair) later this year as its from 2005 and never serviced.

1 Like

Years ago I used to be Naim’s customer service manager and the recommendation then used to be that if a CD player was working OK then it was best not to ship it in by courier for a service, as the thing that CD player mechs hated most was to be jostled and shocked whilst in transit, and this could often lead to failure, so minimising exposure to such risks was the best idea. As such, it was recommended only to send in a CD player for service if there was a fault of some kind that needed attention.

1 Like

I know that used to be the recommendation, hence my requesting clarification after seeing so many variations on the theme.

For clarity, the guidance I posted above was received in Feb this year, so pretty up to date

Balance of risk. And maybe their advice has changed now they sell less CDPs. Or maybe the service interval is driven by the laser mech. And therefore the CDP is run to failure. Then fix. Whereas amps are serviced which means replacement of degraded components that are no longer as per design. Which usuall means electrolytic capacitors.

I remember that when I recently sent my CD5i-2 to Naim due to a suspected unusually loud mech noise when playing CDs, the dealer said that he may only accept players with actual issues and did quiz me about the issue I was experiencing. (The noise turned out to be normal at least after the CDP arrived at Naim, but at least I have a nicely glowing logo again :slight_smile: )

I had asked Naim service about the topic of this thread before opening it, but I opened it anyway because understandably the reply did not come immediately. Now it arrived and I was given permission to share it with the forum to clear up prevailing confusion. Many thanks to Naim!

I can confirm that all of the above CD players [I had asked about CDX2, CDS3, CD555] are still serviceable. CD mechs are still available as are all components and capacitors that would be required in a service. We recommend a service every 10-12 years. [Some CD555 serial numbers I had asked about] have not been back for service since their manufacture in 2006. So would benefit from one.

So I asked for clarification regarding the older policy that said to only ship if really necessary or faulty, and my dealer stating the same about my CD5i-2 (and he was always reliable)

The CD mechanism will not be changed unless there is fault with [it], however, the rest of the CD player can be serviced. This is what will happen if the device is sent back for a service, only if the mechanism is faulty will it be replaced or repaired.

You can send back your Naim device for a service at any time, so I am not sure why your dealer has reported this. I would get in touch directly with your countries distributor, should you want to send a unit back for servicing, but note, the mech will only be changed if it is faulty. Otherwise, it will be a full check and test of all components and capacitors, any that have worn or degraded over time will be replaced, it will then be fully tested to Naim spec to ensure the device is working as intended and then electrically soaked for 12 hours.

I’m glad we could clear this up somewhat. Of course, I’d still argue that each individual will have to weigh risk and benefit with rarer players (and carry the guilt if a perfectly fine mech gets crushed by a DHL truck :smiling_imp:)

2 Likes

I would not be surprised if the courier cost of sending a large box to Salisbury and back to the dealer was pretty high. My last itemised bill had a figure of £60/70 for carraige.

Never cheap, but it hardly matters if inside is a CDP that is several thousands worth and if most people spend several times that for the cable from the CDP to the pre :slight_smile:

(and for the less heavy ones, service fee for full check, change of minor parts, and incl. shipping for my CD5i-2 was an extremely reasonable 165 EUR)