CDX2 service

Mine is 2010 and I have a buyer from abroad interested. I would be more comfortable if he had it serviced.

I have a service price but wonder what you all think. I have only used it as a transport but occasionally and recently I connected it to 555 DR. It sounded reasonable but probably needs running in!

It’s will be connected to a Krell instead of a CD5XS.

Phil

Make sure it’s well packed and insured. Naim don’t even like you to send CD players to them for servicing unless it’s essential, due to the risk of damage in transit.

1 Like

Chris, Thank you. I’d still be interested to understand the need for recapping etc at this age.

@Richard.Dane Please can you tell me if there are service agents in Italy? Many thanks in advance.

I am half thinking of keeping it even though I am moving into streaming as some will know.

Yesterday the CDX2 into nDAC sounded it’s best ever perhaps because of it’s placement and plug position. Because bit of sod’s laws in action. It would be interesting to try it bare as a bit of variety.

Phil

Phil, sorry I don’t know - much has changed since I was Naim’s export sales manager 10 years ago - you would need to enquire with the distributor.

1 Like

Hi @Simon-in-Suffolk, I wonder whether you could advise on whether a 2010 CDX2 might be in a need of a service before going to Italy where there might not be service agents. Many thanks.

Phil

If it’s not skipping at all I suspect it will be fine still

1 Like

I think Green Sounds in Piacenza do repairs & servicing.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hi Felipe,
Based on my experience of having both a CDX2 and a CDS3 serviced, the sheer life and vitality of music will leap if you have your CDX2 serviced. In the case of my CD players, the tantalum and electrolytic capacitors were all replaced during the service(s).

Be warned though, after the service, your CD player will sound so much better that you may have second thoughts about selling it. I say this now that my CDS3 is back in service barely 2 weeks after a full factory service…

Happy listening, BF

1 Like

Hi BF, thank you. How old was yours when you had it serviced? I think capacitors degrade irrespective of how much use they are given - true?

I was quoted £330 including return shipping. I can take it to Salisbury and collect it. Do they change the CD transport as standard?

Phil

Hi Filipe, even after 6 years, the service made a very noticeable difference. The £330 fee is unlikely to include a new mechanism but the software will be brought up to the latest release while the components are changed.

1 Like

The fee is a standard charge regardless of what needs doing. I’ve never heard of a CD player being re-capped though. I have just recently sent off a CD5i (2006) and the work carried out was a new mech, display, logo/remote sensor and door hinge. £337.

1 Like

Sorry *£357.00 - this also included an all new box with internal foam packaging too. Very good value as the player now sounds excellent, like better than new.
If I recall, I also had an old olive CD3 player (1996) have a new mech and hinge done to it around the years 2000/2001 and again it was around that same price so in the grand scheme of things, really good value I think and worth having it done.

PS both times were because both mechs were failing on either machine in the first place and not just sent off for the sake of it.

1 Like

It’s LASA service centre in Piacenza (Green sounds is the distributor) It’s really top class servicecentre well up to factory specs. I already did various services including Nap 500 DR’ ing.
I already enquired for a service of my '09 CDX2 but Mr. Lotti told me that service is still premature. For the record he recently rebuilt Max B. CDX2 series 1 including new mech. at very reasonable expense.

Regards
Roberto

1 Like

Did the mech fail Bluesfan? And did they change it? Mine is 2004, still sounds great and working fine but I do wonder about getting it serviced.

Stu

1 Like

Roberto, interesting to see that there is a service centre on the continent doing DR upgrades. in context of Brexit. Do they serve only Italy - or are they pan-european?

1 Like

Hi Stuart,
The first service on the CDS3 included a mech swap to the “worse” mech. It came back sounding the best ever.

This time, the mech is perfectly fine but according to the Naim Service Sheet, “replace all electrolytic and tant(alum) caps”. This makes fairly self evident what Naim’s Service team has done this time.

On the basis of 2 CDS3 services and 1 CDX2 service, I would send my CD player back to Naim every 8-10 years for a service. It has been worth it to me.

Hope this helps, BF

2 Likes

Thank you BF.

Stu

Hi, I think they are well happy to service within the Eu and outside.
Btw you can get in touch with Mr Sandro Lotti at lasapiacenza@gmail.com

Regards
Roberto

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.