Chandos music no longer on Qobus

Thanks David!

I have hundreds of chandos albums available to stream from qobuz.:scream_cat:!
[Screenshot_2021-12-09-16-22-38-119|236x500]

Roger

Hyperion is available to stream from Qobuz. Just search Hyperion, it works for me on PC and streaming to a SBT.

Same for Chandos.

Ah sorry, should have been clearer. I was referring to the classical music label Hyperion, strictly Hyperion Records I think, rather than the band. I believe Simon Perry, son of the wonderful Ted who founded the label, took the decision not to allow streaming of any of their releases in the early years of streaming.

They have a treasure trove of recordings from the early and very unexpected best seller Feather on the Breath of God, austere medieval music of Hildegard of Bingen through their superb Schubert Lieder cycle with various singers but all featuring the accompanist Stephen Johnson, to the recent Angela Hewitt recital disc Love Songs. Many of them surely well worth buying but AFAIK you can’t stream any of them.

Roger

2 Likes

My bad. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For some strange reason, all my Chandos recordings have returned to my Qobuz collection. Is this because I have just purchased many recordings from Chandos?

Interesting. I have just tried one that I had lost and it too is back. I have not bought many (any?) Chandos recoridngs online - just CDs so they wouldn’t know.

1 Like

The two Chandos albums I bought and downloaded do not seem to have returned. Maybe they will. Or perhaps Chandos are being selective about which recordings they permit streaming services to use.

Roger

There are plenty of Chandos releases available for streaming on Qobuz: I was listening to one today (complete Bax symphonies conducted by Vernon Handley).

All the albums that seemed to have gone missing from my favourites have re-appeared but I did need to add them again to favourites. Perhaps it was just a temporary blip.

Roger

I have seen this argument put forward by a number of people who say that (external service) streaming is not for them. However, it doesn’t really stand up as far as I am concerned.

I use a combination of Tidal and Roon to provide me with a music library that is fully integrated with my 2000+ local rips. I currently have 600+ Tidal albums in my Roon music library, and have access to countless more as and when I discover them. On the rare occasion when an album disappears from my library I simply ask the question - would I miss the album enough to want to purchase it and rip it to my music library, or do I just let it go?

In the event that Tidal were to cease trading I would switch to Qobus. If both Tidal and Qobus were to go, then I would very reluctantly move to a non-Roon supported platform such as Spotify.

But the model for most people is simple : subscribe to your online streaming platform of choice and purchase the rare specific item that is not available on that platform.

First of all, I would say do that for any you would miss before they go missing! It would be a sad state of affairs to think “I really fancy hearing X”, only to find it (and possibly Y and Z you choose next) unavailable until you have tracked down a source from which to purchase and done that.

Your argument is reasonable for someone without a collection already, but to my mind for those of us - and I guess it applies to a majority on this forum - who already have a collection it just seems nonsensical to dispose of the collection and only stream online. Of course, I also guess that most people (as you indicate for yourself) don’t get rid of their collection, but use both, whence the argument disappears and it is just a matter of whether the individual finds benefit worth the subscription and is content to accept the limitations/irritations when they arose.

Again, speaking for myself, I see no merit in spending money on a subscription service: I have a very large amount of music that I have bought so is free of further charge, all on tap whenever I want it without the glitches that all too frequently get highlighted on this forum in relation to online streaming (from breaks in service to catalogue changes). And to decide if something new to me is good to my ears (which I’d then buy) I can listen free through non-subscription sources.

I think online streaming comes into its own for people starting out without an existing collection (though sensibly over time buying anything they feel they never want to be without), or for people who like to constantly listen to music new to them.

Oh, and personally I don’t feel that Roon is value for money, though of course if I were hooked on online streaming from the providers they use I might feel differently. (At least they made optional or toned down the things that originally caused me to actively dislike it at my first trial.)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.