Change my mind about a band I don’t get by recommending a single album

Yes they had a policy of not only allowing bootleg recordings of their concerts but positively encouraging it by having a section of venues reserved exclusively for bootleggers, who could often record straight off the mixing desk. Most of these recordings are not-for-profit swaps amongst Deadheads but hundreds have inevitably turned up as commercial releases. As such, sound quality varies enormously. The ‘D*ck ‘s Picks’ and ‘From The Vaults’ series are reliable. I was in Amoeba Music in San Francisco last year drooling over the range of live Dead recordings they stocked.

Ps, ffs I’ve just been censored by the forum spellcheck for including the diminutive form of Richard!

1 Like

In the spirit of the OP I just don’t get Bob Dylan. Is it possible to appreciate his talents with a particular album suggestion, assuming I can get past his voice?

Bruce

You are about to be inundated with suggestions but I would head for ‘Blood on the tracks’ as your first album

2 Likes

I’d echo @crispyduck. Couldn’t understand how everyone raved about him. The wife’s a big Dylan fan so bought her Blood on the Tracks on vinyl. Since then can’t stop listening to him. Nashville Skyline and Desire are probably my favourites

Funnily enough, I was listening to his most recent, Rough And Rowdy Ways, for the first time the other night and his voice has really matured into a low, deep rumble (he is almost 80) that really suits the reflective, twilit lyrics.
Blood On The Tracks is a good suggestion. If you can’t get into that then he’s not for you.

3 Likes

I promise to try one or the other and will let you know.

I am going to try a free Tidal subscription soon, a perfect time to stretch my ears/brain.

Happy to return the favour on your own musical sticking points if possible!

Good luck with both Tidal and Bob Dylan - I do t think either will disappoint!

Dont

Tidal is good. I will still be buying downloads but I am enjoying the opportunity to browse and listen to stuff that piques my curiosity. Works nicely with my DAP too.

Bob D… well sort of. I listened to Rough and Rowdy and quite like the old growly style songs but not so much the bluesy tracks. Blood on the Tracks was less enjoyable, just his voice and style of delivery was too much. But I did appreciate some smart songwriting on each so maybe I ‘get’ why people are so admiring even if I don’t personally enjoy him.

If I want old and growly I will stick to Leonard Cohen.

Good to try anyway.

Bruce

1 Like

At least you were open to trying so good for you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.