Changes - one at a time next time

I recently got several items serviced and the overall sound has changed so much I’m not sure I like it!

Trouble is I have no idea if things just need time to burn in or whether one or more things are worse than expected.

On top of that, I stupidly repositioned speakers a bit wildly one day last week which further confuses matters.

Suspect others have done the same, but when servicing a stepwise approach might be less practical but easier to judge. (Not just Naim equipment btw).

1 Like

When i decided in my nd555 i needed a preamp…252. I wanted to do the full Naim SL loom. My dealer told me to wait and let it all run in. Wise words, a recent interconnect trial, left me underwhelmed with the SL. Still thinking on the next move.

1 Like

Put the speakers back! :wink:
And then give the serviced items time to run in. :grin:

I find it takes about six weeks for serviced Naim kit to run in.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:And,…as the picture above says…Important,you have to play them 24/7 during that time.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

How long for serviced Linn kit? :thinking:

Err pass. I’d allow similar though to be fully sure. :blush:

Funny thing is that I’m wondering if some of that smooth ‘analogue’ sound I’d loved might have been enhanced by slow component degradation as the whole system now sounds a lot ‘thinner’ with less depth than it did before, especially analogue sources.

Trouble with the speakers is I just impulsively moved them and didn’t record original positions, though nothing to say they were optimal I suppose :roll_eyes:

I stick masking tape on the floor so I can always return them to where they were. :blush:

But surely you can in your minds eye still home in on exactly where they had sat for so long??
Maybe have a large glass of wine, wait ten minutes, get a divining rod, and let it guide you to the spot!

1 Like

I did this last week
So I backed up by putting my switch back on the rack and that sorted everything out
Also my new speaker cables are now burning in nicely…but I will still make sure that I swop back to my old cables in a few weeks time to make a better comparison.

I just spend six months moving my speakers around before spiking them into the new carpet
But I am still going to try and play with the rake, ie raising up the front of the plinths to try to raise the soundstage…

And as you change the system I think speakers will need to move position to adapt to the new system output

No seriously, not a tidy room, no tape or marks, juts clutter displaced on the floor :tired_face:

I had my 282/HC2/250-2 serviced and DR’d last summer. I think it took a solid two months to run in, and a few more months to gel even better. Now it’s sublime. I’ve done other upgrades too, but they would not have integrated so well without the DR and probably service too.

2 Likes

That’s great news, just keep enjoying the music

Good to hear, thanks.

My NAP has a lot of transformer hum since I got it back.

Unfortunately my older NAP is not recent enough for a DR upgrade.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.