Changing Nordost Red Dawn to... what?

I haven’t bought NAC A5 yet, I’m still using Red Dawn. I have mixed feelings about changing the speaker cables. I like the neutrality and bass precision on Nordost, but when I volume up my Naim (maximum about 10-11 o’clock) then it begins to be a little bit shouty. I had some spendings lately in my second hobby - photography, but maybe it’s time to try new speaker cables in the system. I will search for a used pair. After that I will share with my reflections

I had Nordost Red Dawn speaker cable in my 500 based Naim system and swapped back to good old NACA 5. It’s a lot cheaper but much more musical.

2 Likes

@Polarbear how many meters do you use?

My speaker lengths are 8 metres.

Nordost put up for sale. When I sell it I will try Naca5.

Maybe before sale you can find a Nac a5 for make test comparison in your system and then choice better for you.

1 Like

NAC A5 ordered, so soon I will be able to do a comparison test between Naim and Nordost. NAC I ordered was half free - leftover from the warehouse of a former distributor. I’m curious how does A5 perform.

Okay, NAC A5 arrived and is already connected. First things first, as many said system gained on musicality. It also gained on scale of sound what is even more interesting. Bass is more massive than it was with Nordost. Vocal is moved to the listener according to what I heard with Nordost plugged in, and further scene plans aren’t as audible as on Nordost. Anyway that isn’t a big deal. It is more pleasant to listen to music on NAC A5 than Nordost. System became less shouty when the scroll is turned harder (to about 10-11 o’clock). What is more left-right side balance is perfect. With Nordos I had a feeling that right speaker plays a little bit louder than the other one (maybe my Nordost cables are damaged?). Nordost is more natural and neutral, but actually that’s not good at all when it comes to longer listening sessions. Nordost is hmm some kind of sterile and it was an advantage in my previous system (Atoll IN200 Signature + Dynaudio X14), but in current Naim system it seems to be an disadvantage. I’m glad I’ve tried the NAC A5 speaker cables, they definitely stay and Nordost goes for sale. Thank You for all Your replies, support and advice.

I would discount opinions and reviews. NACA5 is designed to work with your amplifier. You now know which you prefer by doing the comparison in your system. By far the best way IMO.

1 Like

A few days passed and I’m in love with NAC A5 speaker cables. Actually I started to listen to music more often than I used to before the change. System woke up with more energy, music simply lives. I must admit it’s a perfect match. It’s a great pleasure to listen to well know tracks and explore them one more time.
It’s also insane that cheaper cables can outperform the more expensive ones in specific audio system.

1 Like

Thank you for sharin your impression

Hi there
I just Came across This thread and coincidentally had just tried the same test IE. NAC 5 VS a more expensive speaker cable. I have a 252 and 300 DR which are relatively recent purchases having changed from a krell integrated 400XI. I had used Red Dawn Mk1 speaker cables and interconnects. I had changed my cables to Ansuz C Speaker cables and Ansuz X XLR and RCA.I was at a show recently where naim were doing a demo and asked about their cable. The Guy said you only need nac 5 as they were designed to work with the amp. So this week just bought a 5 M pair second hand to try as I could sell it on if i didn’t like it. Well suprise surprise i can’t believe it. They sound great. I am unable to give the somtimes flowery descriptions found here but just to say they will be staying.Ansuz C are not a cheap cable so I am surprised to be saying this.If your thinking about it give it a go…

Needless to say, put the Ansuz back in its box and keep in safe storage. You never know when you would might like to try putting it back into business.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.