Changing to Digital and Audiophile Network Switch

surely if you believe in all this mystery and intrigue you would want the switch as far from plug sockets and maims as possible, surely thats eating away at you?

2 Likes

Not sure about mystery and intrigue, I leave that to others.

And fortunately, I have an excellent constitution, so nothing eating away and sleep well.

May move again tomorrow, when I start adding the GroundARAYs and do some cable dressing.

The fun of being retired, plenty of play time to enjoy myself, when not out galavanting around with friends.

DG…

1 Like

The way things are going I won’t be retiring till I am 83.

5 Likes

I know, it’s getting ridiculous the way things are going. I was fortunate to retire in my 50s. Mind you I had, had enough of 60 hours every week, driving 40k miles a year and stupid overseas travel. Up to 48 countries now, mainly on business.

DG…

I recently plugged my Silent Angel F1 supply to the EE8 into my Isol-8 Powerline Axis block with the rest of my kit. Sounds better that having it on a separate socket.

The only rule is that there are no rules.

G

4 Likes

Update;

We have demoed the Chord Ground ARAYs and we had some fun doing so. Thank you to Cymbiosis for lending these to us to try.

Listened to a load of demo tracks and picked the ones we wanted to use.

Firstly, tried the RJ45 one in a spare socket on the Chord / English Electric EE8 Network Switch first and replayed the same tracks.

There was a slight difference;

• clearer upper range, (a bit brighter?)
  • bit more detail

Secondly, repeated the same process, with the DIN one in an unused socket on the Naim NAC 282 Pre-amp.

Thirdly, repeated the same process with both plugs in.

On these two occasions, we didn’t really notice any difference

Only used these two, as have no unused RCA sockets, USB sockets or XLR sockets

But, was there enough of an improvement to spend £500 or so on one of these. On this occasion, then no. The cost benefit analysis didn’t work out this time at the current cost of them. If they come down in price in the future, as they are still relatively newish, then it may be worth re-considering. Say they were £50-£100, then that may be worth a punt.

On this occasion, we will send the demo set back and say thank you to the dealer. It was fun trying them out and we had a good day, listening to some of our favourite tracks and drinking coffee.

Will consider putting the funds for this to a different and potentially bigger upgrade. Will look at the Organik upgrade to the Linn Klimax DS3 / Katalyst in about a years time.

But in the meantime, will continue to enjoy the music and Hi-Fi.

DG…

4 Likes

Good plan. I presume there is no proposed cut off date for the Organik upgrade boards at the moment ? I suspect this is going to be very popular upgrade route for many Klimax DS / DSM owners.

1 Like

Did you try one into the KDS?

1 Like

Justifiably, in my experience. I cannot compare Organik with Katalyst as I bought a KDS and had the upgrade installed from the start. But really enjoy the result.

Most recent hifi treat was a laser measurer so I could measure my room up for SO. Not everyone likes the effect of SO I believe, but for me, particularly with classical and jazz, the effect is another step up in transparency and realism. I’m now in the most enjoyable process of rediscovering large parts of my music collection.

Roger

4 Likes

Out of interest Roger, which laser measurer did you get ?

I’ve downloaded the SO manual but haven’t had a chance to play yet, so one of these could be rather useful for when I do.

Apologies to the OP for the brief thread diversion !

1 Like

No, there was no spare socket to put one in

DG…

That’s a shame, mine’s a KDSM so has a couple of RJ45 sockets. The impact wasn’t insignificant.

1 Like

I have a Bosch Zamo one and they are good.

1 Like

I’d actually forgotten about the Exact sockets, so I can try that tomorrow, before the Courier picks them up.

DG…

I tried the RJ45 plug in one of the Exact sockets on the KDS3/Katalyst.

On this occasion, the only change it made was to make the system sound a bit quieter, also, as though some of the energy and dynamics had been lost.

But thanks for the heads up as worth trying.

If you don’t try, you don’t know.

DG

Hi James. You don’t need millimetre accuracy, so I just wandered into my local B&Q and bought the cheapest. It carries the name Magnusson, but I suspect it’s the store’s own brand. It claims accuracy to a couple of mm and since Linn use a 1 cm grid, I reckon that’s enough.

The only tricky thing I encountered was finding where to enter the make of speakers on the website — the pictures on my user guide didn’t quite correspond to what the website was showing, but I did eventually solve that.

I listen mostly to acoustic music: classical, jazz, folk and similar and for such genres I think the extra dose of realism was very well worthwhile, but I gather some listeners really miss the room’s bass reinforcement so perhaps it’s less suitable for serious heavy metal fans, say.

I echo your apologies to the OP for thread diversion.

Roger

2 Likes

Hi Roger, DG,

Brilliant - thank you. I’ll give it a go :+1:

James

2 Likes

I didn’t go with the Chord GroundARAY plugs, but have done an upgrade in a different way for similar money.

I’ve just purchased a pre-loved Naim Hi-Cap from a dealer on eBay to replace my FlatCap XS that powers my SNAXO 242.

It will arrive next week, so I’ll have some fun playing with that.

DG…

2 Likes

I’ve taken the PhoenixNET out of circuit temporarily whilst I try out the fibre connection into the KDSM over the weekend. The Linn was quite happy with the ADOT badged SFP module and it’s all working so that’s a good start !

3 Likes

The Hi-Cap arrived today. But before I install it, I had checked with Naim about its service history.

It is just over 10 years old, so it is straight off to Class A Audio to get it serviced, then it will be installed and the FlatCap XS sold on.

All my other Naim gear is less than 10 years old, so no other servicing for while.

DG…

2 Likes