Changing to Digital and Audiophile Network Switch

I’d actually forgotten about the Exact sockets, so I can try that tomorrow, before the Courier picks them up.

DG…

I tried the RJ45 plug in one of the Exact sockets on the KDS3/Katalyst.

On this occasion, the only change it made was to make the system sound a bit quieter, also, as though some of the energy and dynamics had been lost.

But thanks for the heads up as worth trying.

If you don’t try, you don’t know.

DG

Hi James. You don’t need millimetre accuracy, so I just wandered into my local B&Q and bought the cheapest. It carries the name Magnusson, but I suspect it’s the store’s own brand. It claims accuracy to a couple of mm and since Linn use a 1 cm grid, I reckon that’s enough.

The only tricky thing I encountered was finding where to enter the make of speakers on the website — the pictures on my user guide didn’t quite correspond to what the website was showing, but I did eventually solve that.

I listen mostly to acoustic music: classical, jazz, folk and similar and for such genres I think the extra dose of realism was very well worthwhile, but I gather some listeners really miss the room’s bass reinforcement so perhaps it’s less suitable for serious heavy metal fans, say.

I echo your apologies to the OP for thread diversion.

Roger

2 Likes

Hi Roger, DG,

Brilliant - thank you. I’ll give it a go :+1:

James

2 Likes

I didn’t go with the Chord GroundARAY plugs, but have done an upgrade in a different way for similar money.

I’ve just purchased a pre-loved Naim Hi-Cap from a dealer on eBay to replace my FlatCap XS that powers my SNAXO 242.

It will arrive next week, so I’ll have some fun playing with that.

DG…

2 Likes

I’ve taken the PhoenixNET out of circuit temporarily whilst I try out the fibre connection into the KDSM over the weekend. The Linn was quite happy with the ADOT badged SFP module and it’s all working so that’s a good start !

3 Likes

The Hi-Cap arrived today. But before I install it, I had checked with Naim about its service history.

It is just over 10 years old, so it is straight off to Class A Audio to get it serviced, then it will be installed and the FlatCap XS sold on.

All my other Naim gear is less than 10 years old, so no other servicing for while.

DG…

2 Likes

So which set up is better for you, with or without the PhoenixNet ?

1 Like

I’ve not had the chance to give it a proper listen yet. I just plugged everything in and made sure it worked.

I will report back in due course :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Fibre messing around part 2…

Trusty old Cisco 2960 as the media converter in use today.

4 Likes

I’m intrigued as to how this works.

Is that just a straight replacement of the Ethernet cable with a fibre optic cable ?

DG…

Effectively yes. This is just on the final link to the streamer. On their latest streamer, Linn provide both a standard Ethernet port and an ‘Optical Ethernet’ port that can host a SFP optical transceiver module. The Cisco can also support an SFP transceiver module so I’m using that today as the media converter - copper < > optical.

I just wanted to compare both options now I’ve had the player for a while to see what works best for me.

3 Likes

I use the same switch and fibre with my Lumin P1 James. Works great to my ears, curious how it sounds in your system.
I am no network guru, but surely this last leg before the streamer is the most important?
Between the 2960, SFP modules and fibre cable I have about $150 Canadian dollars invested. Not sure what a fancy (expensive) switch would add to my dead silent noise floor.

4 Likes

That’s interesting to know. I thought the old girl was going to be retired but now I’m not so sure. I arrived at my previous network setup when I had the NDX2, so it’s been an interesting exercise so far.

3 Likes

Not one for quick A-B’s, I’ve moved the PhoenixNET out of the rack and put the Cisco 2960 in its place for a while. This neatens up the wiring (and stops Mrs n wondering why there is an orange cable snaking around the side of the rack) and I don’t see the twinkling activity lights out of the corner of my eye at night when the lighting in our lounge is dim.

Using the ADOT MC01 in place of the PhoenixNET as the final run to the KDSM (via fibre) was certainly different and quite revealing but something was lost in the process. In the end, I just didn’t find the music to be quite as engaging as I usually do. Putting the PhoenixNET back in brought the engagement back.

Using my trusty 2960 as the media converter rather than the ADOT is proving to be a lot more promising and does bring something different over the copper connection. It brings the increased transparency of the fibre link, but not at the expense of a lack of engagement. I’m not quite sure that the fibre connection betters the PhoenixNET, hence why I want to leave it in place over a longer period and see how things go. I find the slower approach works better for me and as I have all the kit here, there is no rush to decide what setup works best.

5 Likes

I’m inclined to agree that it’s not an attractive colour. Other colours are available though, and fortunately the boutique manufacturers have not yet got their teeth into this particular market yet, so you could get a different colour made up by a certified cable supplier for a few quid.

1 Like

It’s tucked behind the rack now so out of sight, but good point about different colour sleeves being available if needed.

1 Like

Hi James,
The function of the ADOT is to galvanically isolate your KDSM from noise created by upstream network components. The purpose of the PhoenixNET is to clean up and retime the same stream.
In your system both devices should be employed. The ADOT to clean up any stray currents and the PN to clean up and retime the ADOT’s output.
Digital is not like analog, where additional devices are detrimental. With digital, additional devices resynthesize the data stream. If each device in the chain has a superior noise and timing spec to all preceding modules, the stream will be improved and sound quality will increase.

2 Likes

I’d be interested to know how the Melco switch would perform with the NGKDSM. Having copper and fibre connections like the Cisco and of supposed higher quality and isolation like the PN.

1 Like

To sound its best, the Melco S100 needs a really good power supply. With any network switch, the power supply used has greater influence on SQ than the switch itself.

1 Like