Changing to Digital and Audiophile Network Switch

I did yes, thanks, yes the current ones support ac which is an improvement, but limited to the 5 GHz ISM band only… flow management is taken to the next level with ax which is not currently supported, and ax uses the 2.4 and 5 GHz ISM as well as potentially other bands.

I will correct my post… thanks

1 Like

I was appalled by the patchy performance of my Superuniti. It was about 5 metres away from my router with no obstructions and it never held a connection for more than a few minutes. Eventually I just got the drill out and routed a cable over a rather tortuous route and that solved the problem.
If I still had a 1st gen streamer now I suspect a decent Mesh wireless network might well do a better job, and even if it doesn’t, putting one of the satellites near the streamer and connecting it with a patch cable should work reliably.

1 Like

You lost me at…As…lol I am always fascinated to hear your answers although sometimes so complicated you make me feel very analogue where you sound digital as in I am lost on your replies and I feel like going back to school! Although you are probably correct I wouldn’t have the knowledge to say you’re not. Sadly with hifi one day you perceive a difference then the next it has gone so I have to be careful these things make a real difference or is it me that day. I never realised how getting better quality rips made all the difference till this week which has left me re ripping my fav discs to the Melco again!!! My system is now so honest I can hear it which I couldn’t before and of course I dismissed this as a waste of time before! Egg…face! A difference is not always better just different…I try to stick to the basics and not cloud the view. Thanks Simon again for your opinions and I should listen to Andy more at Signals but he costs me money :joy:

1 Like

Ok do what sounds best to suit your tastes and system… best not try and justify it on some sort of technical pretext… as subconscious bias seeps in and it might be making things worse if one’s understanding is mis placed.

2 Likes

Same here, I gave up using WiFi with the SU, mine was in the same room no more than 2 metres away from the router. Every other WiFi device in and around our home and in the garden worked fine, quite how Naim managed to implement such a crumby WiFi interface is beyond me.

2 Likes

The legacy streamers suck for wifi. I’ve done the mesh thing, wired is still better. One long run to a switch then shorter patches from there. Pretty easy and the SQ is great.

1 Like

I always wonder whether our (2012, non Bluetooth) SU has been modified when I read these threads! The SU is in a different room in the house from our BT Hub. The SU doesn’t even have the WiFi aerial connected, yet we rarely experience drop outs. It’s on much of the working day mon-fri on internet radio mostly or streaming from NAS.

Only problem we have is that you can’t stream DSD to the SU as the buffer exhausts and it constantly pauses.

1 Like

Really ? It’s going to be deaf as a post RF wise without the antenna plugged in so I’m surprised it works so well via WiFi.

1 Like

Yes, really!

Never an issue.

We did at one point have the aerial fitted but then with system changes had SU in lounge on Ethernet. When I returned it to the office I simply didn’t refit.

Bonkers. Not sure why you wouldn’t fit the antenna, but if it’s working for you…

1 Like

Laziness and “if it ain’t broke”.

Streams hi-res no bother.

1 Like

Well, companies still manage it today. A&K Daps other than their top tier have really old and not very good 2.4ghz Wi-Fi. I sent my Kann Alpha packing as it was just dire performance over Wi-Fi. For something at nearly a grand I expected much much better. The SQ wasn’t enough to justify the price given it wasn’t leaps and bounds better than my cheaper Hiby that works well on Wi-Fi. The Unities were developed some time ago when wireless was likely not as over saturated in the home as it is today.

1 Like

I’m impressed, perhaps that’s the answer, detach the antenna!

2 Likes

Many 1st gen Naim streamers had 802.11g WiFi, and were released long after this standard was widely considered obsolete. My SU couldn’t hold a connection even if it was the only client on my LAN.

1 Like

I honestly expected to have to head upstairs to the junk room and dig the antenna out of the box eventually.

But you wouldn’t know it needs an antenna at the moment so I’d forgotten about it.

Our household has plenty WiFi traffic too, between home working and various consumer devices across both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. So it’s not like the SU is on a private network.

Right now 6 devices on each frequency according to our hub admin pages (all work related devices are off so this rises tomorrow).

1 Like

Quite if it works without an antenna, it suggests a poor implementation and will be creating RF field strength within the device case when transmitting … I would tend to avoid for SQ reasons if it works without an antenna.

3 Likes

This brings to mind something I was wondering just recently. If the unit receives wifi so well without the antenna, which is great when using wifi, does this mean when using ethernet that the wifi (and Bluetooth?) connections are picking up stray EM/RF noise? Or is this a nonissue. Perhaps I have just asked what Simon just stated.

1 Like

probably nonsense unfortunately - as the RF field strengths are so low… what might be more relevant is if wifi was being used then the relative field strength within the product enclosure would be higher than ideal.
Sure the effects of this are going to be minimal to none existent on audio frequency circuitry - but may be more relevant on modulating clocks of high frequency circuitry which in turn supports audio circuitry. All in all for a quality solution this would ideally be avoided to minimise ambiguities.

1 Like

Hi Simon can I ask when using a fibre optic cable in an Adot set up what can effect the sound quality in how you place he cable ? Will explain why after thanks

1 Like

Hi if you are using a fibre cable it should not really matter where you place it, although best not to keep the cable very short.
Yes technically if your connected streamer is very sensitive to things like phase modulation in the Ethernet link from switches and the like (ie you hear the benefit of using a switch with a more stable serialisation clock) then you might hear the effects of microphony on the fibre, but in practice unless extreme conditions this I feel, is unlikely to be noticeable. Fibre’s Achilles heal is microphony noise… and in this case added serial clock phase modulation… twisted pair Ethernet suffers from no issue here.

If you are connected to a consumer grade double insulated switch, then the benefits of fibre on the segment between switch port and streamer will likely outweigh any disadvantage from the fibre… with the main benefit being the removal of stray common mode currents circulating from the switch port through to the streamer which in my opinion is more likely to be noticeable than Ethernet clock phase noise.

1 Like