Charcoal

100% recommend regular lumpwood and Flamers.
Only need 1 or two to light a fire or BBQ…Ace and as many have said no nasty fuel used etc etc

They are shavings of wood, and wax, nor fuel etc etc. Also ACE for lighting log fires etc.

I’ve used those in the past, got some from the log burner showroom some 20 miles away, the prices were high there.

Have turned to the cheap ones from Home Bargains or B&M which are ususally under £2. Wickes had some nice ones a few months ago.

CoVID-19 often affects sense of smell! :mask:

2 Likes

I put a load of chillis in a stir fry the other day as I could barely taste them initially, Mrs AC was virtually gasping.

Different nerves but it did make me wonder, though taste is shared, and if the heat is inflammatory may involve both!

Cannot agree with you more. Briquettes are awful compared to lump - I tend to be a bit of a charcoal geek but definitely find a commercial grade reseller in your area (sorry cannot recommend any specific as not UK based anymore!)

I am currently using this mangrove lump with pieces the size of my forearm, ran a 13hr beef rib smoke over the weekend without adding more.

1 Like

What’s the problem with briquettes v lumpwood? I’ve used both and couldn’t tell any difference (except briquettes generally burn for longer, lumpwood nearly always needs topping up). Definitely no difference taste wise. Can never understand this need of some to look down from a great height and criticise the choices made by others

Ok, I’m talking about single source commercial grade lump wood.

• It will last a whole lot longer than briquettes,

• Can urn hotter which is great if your are grilling (depending on your choice of lump),

• Less mess as you will get very little ash.

• More choice (once you find a seller), including things like binchotan which is amazing to use. Coffee wood which adds a heavy smoke, etc

• Can reuse if it’s not burnt out and you can a decent seal on your bbq to starve of oxygen, I’ll usually get 2 grill from my kettle or even up to 4 with Binchotan. On my smoker I can easily get 16hrs on one set of charcoal for brisket.

Remember how briquettes are made, undefined wood, ash, saw dust potentially binding chemicals.

Briquettes do have their place, good for minion method in a Kettle, they can be easier to use and more consistent and often easier to source (esp as my BBQ team was sponsored by Kingsford, had the stuff everywhere!)

It took longer than I anticipated, but I opened the bag of coconut charcoal yesterday.

First surprise: they’re briquettes, which I was disappointed by (I have a more-or-less irrational dislike of them).

Second: did I detect the slightest whiff of Malibu as I put them on? Possibly.

Third: they sat there, they burned nicely, they cooked our food.

Any difference from our usual fuel (lumpwood charcoal)? Not really, apart from burning longer. Worth the price premium? I don’t think I could say so, unfortunately.

Mark

…can you tell I went to Costco recently…salmon and fillet steaks ready to go (and enjoyed one of each yesterday for fathers day), rib eye still to portion up and bag! :grin:
Best kitchen gadget in a while is a “foodsaver” vac sealer…handy for sou vide water bath cooking and preserving food longer.
Bought another box of the BigK charcoal from Amazon (noticed price was down to £33 - will post pic of contents in due course.
Keep grill all :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Hi, I don’t know where you live but this is from the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Wildlife Trust .

Sorry if I have broken any protocols by showing the phone number

2 Likes

I’m just west of the neep fields outside Aberdeen, so bit of a stretch…lol

Other bbq addition has been GrillGrates - for awesome sear marks and reduced flare ups…impressed with them so far, on charcoal and gas grill - flipped one grate over yesterday to do salmon fillets on one, the fillet steak on the other.
Pic shows first rib eye on the weber smokey joe:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.