Chet Baker

1 Like

One month later Chet returned to the Reeves Sounds Studio in New York with one of the strongest bands he would ever record with Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones, Al Haig and Johnny Griffin. The album that came out of that session - Chet Baker in New York released in 1959 was brilliant and one of Chet’s best.

1 Like

@Bobthebuilder , the next time my better half accuses me of being “obsessive” with my music I am just going to point her to this thread.

I’m getting better at streaming than I used to be and the collection in here will be a great place to further improve that.

Cheers, the content and the contribution from all is very much appreciated, can feel a Chetfest coming on.

Thanks Adam.

I’m the first to admit I’m a vinyl addict through and through but as I tell my better half it keeps me out of the pub.

2 Likes

Vinyl LP - not easy to get - but available on Qobuz
@MrDom would like this I am sure ?!

Recorded at Malleus Studio, Recanati, Italy on February 29, 1988 - Chet died less than 3 months later.

Chet Baker (t) (voc)
Enrico Pieranunzi (p)

2 Likes

Very high on my want list Ian I have Little Girl Blue on vinyl which is right up there with Chet’s best.

2 Likes

Chet Baker - Chet in New York, Riverside/Craft (2021)

Tracklist
A1. Fair Weather - Written-By – Benny Golson (6:55|

A2. Polka Dots And Moonbeams - Written-By – Burke-Van Heusen (7:57)

A3. Hotel 49 - Written-By – Owen Marshall (9:53)

B1. Solar - Written-By – Miles Davis (5:49)

B2. Blue Thoughts - Written-By –[Benny Golson (7:35)

B3. When Lights Are Low - Written-By – Benny-Carter, Williamson (6:50)

Bass – Paul Chambers
Drums – Philly Joe Jones
Piano – Al Haig
Tenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin (tracks: A1, A3, B2)
Trumpet – Chet Baker

Recorded Reeves Sound Studio, New York, September, 1958

2 Likes

The third of Chet’s Riverside Recordings Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner and Loewe is another high quality record backed with high quality musicians Zoot Sims, Bill Evans, Pepper Adams, Herbie Mann and Clifford Jarvis.

Again I have the excellent Craft Records reissue by Kevin Grey.

1 Like

Chet Baker - Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner and Loewe, Riverside/Craft (2021)

Tracklist

I’ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face 4:08
I Could Have Danced All Night 3:35
The Heather On The Hill 5:00
On The Street Where You Live 8:30
Almost Like Being In Love 4:46
Thank Heaven For Little Girls 4:30
I Talk To The Trees 5:44
Show Me 6:24

Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Zoot Sims
Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams
Bass – Earl May
Drums - Clifford Jarvis
Flute & Alto Sax - Herbie Mann
Piano – Bill Evans (tracks: A1, B2 to B4), Bob Corwin (tracks: A2 to A4, B1)
Tenor Saxophone – Herbie Mann (tracks: B1)
Trumpet – Chet Baker

Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York City - July 21st -22nd 1959.

2 Likes
1 Like

Despite my love of hitherto Chet has passed me by but my neighbour has recently lent me a stack of CDs. Just started with White Blues, sublime.

Some great tunes on their Lindsay White Blues is a mix up of a 1962 session recorded in Rome first released as Chet is Back on RCA Victor and then in the 90’s as the Italian Sessions which we will get to soon and also some of Wim Wigts brilliant Timeless records recordings at Studio 44, Monster, Holland during the 1980’s.

We will go into Chet’s output on Timeless in detail later on because it is actually some of his finest and best recorded work from his whole career imo.

The fourth and final release on Riverside Records was the eponymously named Chet featuring another stellar line up including Kenny Burrell, Herbie Mann, Bill Evans and the brilliant rhythm section of Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones.

Made up entirely of instrumental Jazz Standards/Ballads it contains some sublime recordings not least Alone Together and You and the Night and the Music it was again recorded at Reeves Sound Studios on December 30th 1958 and January 19th, 1959.

I’ve several excellent versions first an Original Jazz Classics reissue pressed at Quality Record Pressings and both the Craft Stereo and Mono Kevin Grey cuts from 2021 & 2023. Unfortunately I cant take pictures of the OJC just yet as it’s over in Spain.

Chet Baker - Chet, Craft/Riverside Stereo & Mono (2021), (2023)

Tracklist

Alone Together 6:46
How High The Moon 3:31
It Never Entered My Mind 4:36
'Tis Autumn 5:12
If You Could See Me Now 5:11
September Song 3:00
You’d Be So Nice To Come Home To 4:38
Time On My Hands 4:27
You And The Night And The Music 3:50

Baritone Saxophone – Pepper-Adams
Bass – Paul Chambers
Drums – Philly Joe Jones (tracks: A4, B4, B5)
Drums - Connie Kay (tracks: A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3)
Flute – Herbie Mann
Guitar – Kenny Burrell (tracks: A3, B2)
Piano – Bill Evans
Trumpet – Chet Baker

Recorded in New York City on December 30, 1958 and January 19, 1959.

1 Like

After the Riverside recording sessions Chet returned to Europe first playing in France and the Netherlands reviews where mixed until Chet arrived in Italy where a fanbase more interested in his bad boy image and all American looks than his music fed Chet’s ego as Italian Dr’s at first fed Chet’s thirst for opiates with doses of the prescribed medicine Palfium a powerful man made version of Heroin that Chet quickly became addicted to.

Chet returned to the screen in Italy in the film Howlers in The Dock the film was shown on Italian TV under the longer Italian title Metti, Celentano e Mina…Urlatori alla sbarra . Chet pretty much played himself in a role that would barely pay for more Palfium.

The Italian tabloids loved publishing stories of the American film/music stars ‘wild ways’ and he seemed to revel in the image though the Italian Dr’s where not as impressed and soon stopped prescribing him the Palfium legally and Chet started forging prescriptions and also travelling up to Germany where the drug was much easier to get.

In August 1960 Chet and his wife Halema who didn’t ever use drugs where arrested in Lucca for importing narcotics, forging prescriptions and using narcotics. On the way back from one of his trips up to Germany Chet stopped at a Garage in Lucca and after he had injected himself in the toilets the attendant reported him to the Police and they where both arrested.

The Italian tabloids sensationalised the whole thing and an angry and unsympathetic Italian Judge sentenced him to a year in prison. During this time Chet recorded the Milano Sessions with Ezio Leoni or Len Mercer as he also called himself, Ezio had to communicate through the Prison warden who would bring Chet his arrangements legend has it that that local teenagers and Chet’s fans would gather outside the prison walls to hear him practice and would call out and sing to him.

2 Likes

Now on Broken Wings - wonderful.

2 Likes

& I’m on “A Night At The Shalimar” - CD rip

Recorded live at Shalimar Club, Senigallia, May 23, 1987.
Another one that could be difficult to get, on Qobuz though, sound quality is variable, but I enjoy it !

Chet Baker (voc) (t)
Mike Melillo (p) - Tracks 1-3
Luca Flores (p) - Tracks 4-6
Nicola Stilo (fl)
Furio Di Castri (b)

2 Likes

Mulligan is great as usual. But i do not like Lee Konitz. His tone
Is too thin. But this is my taste. I like art pepper, and sony stitt.

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a vinyl copy Ian but the music is again lovely so sad he lost his life just when he was playing so well again.

Very moving recording

2 Likes