Chips With Everything, or…

That strikes me as an excuse rather than a reason.

Naim - especially with Focal behind them - are a force within the industry and, if they wanted the components, they could get them, or even have them manufactured to order.

I suspect that Focal/Naim would rather sell new products than service equipment that’s 30 or 40 years, old because it’s much more profitable to do so.

That’s the ex-litigation lawyer in me talking!

3 Likes

I agree.

I doubt there are any components used in manufacturing Discrete Regulators that are not readily available. The clue is in the fact they are made using discrete components.

There is a chance they where hard to source during covid, but not today.

I’m afraid like many litigation lawyers, you don’t actually know anything about it.

If companies like Ford and BMW had to cut production because they couldn’t get the chips they needed to build cars, what hope would a tiny insignificant company like Naim have, even with another tiny insignificant company, Focal, that doesn’t buy many chips helping them?

2 Likes

You have wonderful patience👍

1 Like

There are no chip in discrete regulator.

Just transistors, caps, resistors, diodes…

Thank you for your personal attack. I wonder what my (former) profession has to do with anything?

For my part, I’m content with my MA from Oxford.

Transistors are simple chips.

It was you who mentioned your previous profession Graham.

2 Likes

I won’t even bother.

Crisps, but we call them chips here.

Yum!

black pepper and sour cream?

Certainly! You’re an expert.

OK. A French fry. :grinning:

As I posted earlier.

There is a chance they where hard to source during covid, but not today.

So, presumably at sometime in the future, (if not already) these simple chips will become readily available, enabling Naim to offer DR upgrades once again.

I suspect that ship has sailed.

Repairs and servicing I can see continuing, but even that impacts new sales. I can’t see Naim returning to offering DR upgrades.

1 Like

They still service 30 and 40 year old equipment and never provided DR upgrades of 30- 40 year old equipment only the (now called) Original Classic.

That’s the ex-chippy van employee in me talking.

.sjb

5 Likes

I may well have asked previously too, but as I didn’t have anything that could be upgraded it was perhaps less important. I do now have a Supercap DR so it would be nice to know that if it requires servicing or repair that the components might be available, so I guess I’m hoping that Naim have stockpiled a fair few of these components or at least have evaluated similar alternatives if they had to.

What’s wrong with mushy peas? :wink:

I don’t have them often but enjoy them when I do.

1 Like

Chip shop curry sauce over cheesy chips, yum yum

2 Likes