Choosing a new system - help for a lapsed hifiaholic please!

Where my mother was born and brought up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are thinking of the NDX2, or indeed if you are happy with the ND5, do try the SN3. Itā€™s a lovely amp and you get the system automation that you wouldnā€™t get with the Rega.

2 Likes

Yes if you find a dealer with a SN3 or 2 then Iā€™d suggest you have a listen, also Spendor speakers. What speaker cable did the dealer bring?

I think this is good advice, and your dealer is right - if you hear the NDX2, it will stay. Of the options you heard, and given your preference for the ND5 XS2 / Rega over the Nova, Iā€™d also put the Heed Lagrange in as an alternative to the Rega. When I heard them side by side, the Heed was clearly quite a bit better than the Rega, as is the SN2/3. If you want all Naim (and who wouldnā€™t) a SN2/3 with a NDX2 is a great system and thereā€™s scope to improve it even more later on with power supplies.

2 Likes

This may sound a bit shallow but I find itā€™s rather satisfying to have everything matching visually as far as possible. It somehow feels right. So if you are only having two boxes, the NDX2 and SN3 look perfect together. It may not matter to others of course.

3 Likes

Richard Dane mentioned recently that he understood there are historical tariffs on amplifiers in NZ, probably to support local manufacturers.

I havenā€™t looked into it but it sounds plausible

Iā€™m also in NZ. I bought F502SPs. Your observations about them and the Focals match my own. If Spendor was still available in NZ I would have wanted to try them too.

Presently my F502SPs are fed by ND5 XS and NAIT XS 2, which probably isnā€™t really following the source first approach, but my plan is to focus on adding a really good record player and then someday upgrade the amp and go separates.

Anyway long story short I am very happy indeed with the F502SPs. I am lucky to have a big airy room to enjoy them in, they certainly fill it. I bet the F501SPs would be a good option too although I am not sure if there are any in NZ as yet.

I think OCD symmetry is a fairly common occurrence amongst hifi enthusiasts.

1 Like

IMV an aesthetic allure can certainly feed into a sonic allure (and vice versa), well for some anyway.

Agree, although not at the cost of sonic allure

Iā€™m surprised she left - no one ever seems to leave Winnipeg. They all seem to stay for generations. I think itā€™s just so far from anywhere else they canā€™t be bothered. I moved here 20 years ago. Looks like Iā€™ll be staying.

Great place to live - just really in the middle of nowhere. Kinda cold in the winter. I prefer to think of it as bracing.

Better not go too off topic. But in brief she came to the UK as a social worker in 1948 after graduating from UoM and never went back.

1 Like

My father was also born and raised here but he too left as a young man.

In any case, back to the OPā€™s concern. I also encourage a listen to the SN 2/3 plus NDX2 combination. Lots of synergy there.

1 Like

So following a second listening session, I have some thoughts falling out of the ether.

The 502SP are fabulous, butā€¦ I have realised that they need a bigger room than I have. In my listening position they are fine as long as they are just ticking over at low background levels. If you turn the volume up to what we might call ā€œbrisk normalā€ to energise the bass a bit etc, they get fatiguing and messy. However, if you get up and walk to the wall furthest away from them (mostly a window) and turn to face themā€¦brilliant. At that point you are about 6 feet further away.

My wife wonā€™t be rearranging the living room to suit (!) even though she likes the sound so we need an alternative.

The dealer suggested Totem Tribe Towers although they only come in black and white and I really would like a decent (real) walnut etc. veneer.

Sonus Faber Minima Amators look the part and (might) sound good (esp with a sub) but only one dealer has them and isnā€™t keen on home demos. The Electa Amators would probably be a better room size match but they are double the price and blow the budget out of the water. I have heard neither however.

Alternatively perhaps Fyne stand mounts might fit the room better.

If you otherwise like the 502SPs, the 501SPs could be a good option and also have the walnut finish. Quite a bit smaller in overall size. Iā€™m not sure when they will be available here but it canā€™t be too long. A bit cheaper than the 502SPs too.

I have an SN2 also, and itā€™s excellent. It drives my old Kef R107ā€™s beautifully.
Cheers.

1 Like

You could see if they have Totem Hawks or Forest Signatures available in the wood finishes, which are quite lovely.

1 Like

There is of course a great dealer in Nelson, which is closer than Auckland by a fair marginā€¦

I agree, trying a Supernait is a very good idea.

Is ā€œThe Listening Postā€ still operating in Wellington? They may have Spendor available. Otherwise Orange Road are the Spendor distributor. They may offer some help if you give them a buzz.