Chopping in HiCap for a SuperCap worthwhile on a SN3?

None of these options are bad choices in the end, the only limit is your wallet and time to enjoy it all.
Assuming you don’t have to work a 7 day week for the next 10 years to fund it then why not.

1 Like

252s and SCs come up all the time on eBay in UK. There are quite a few on at the moment. Shouldn’t be a problem to buy them separately.

I went 82 Hicap 250 then 82 2 x HiCaps 250. Then 82 2 x hicaps, 2 x 135s. Then presently 82 Supercap 2, 2 x 135s.

Maybe I will go for a 252 or 52 next.

Each stage has brought further improvements, albeit in a mixed system of black, CB and olive.

1 Like

A five day or even less a week is quite enough for me sir. It’s landing the right jobs, and in this present climate prices are going silly crazy, especially in the construction trades :yum:

2 Likes

That’s good then, here in NZ I’ve only seen them sold together, and they rarely come up either.

1 Like

In which case, fill your boots!

I’d not do it unless you have a mind to swap in a NAC 252 at some point, seems that’s the intention here anyway. Then you’ll be aiming at a NAP 250 most likely and then you’ll want new speakers, assuming there’s enough pent up demand work wise then a nice destination to find yourself at.
Don’t forget to swap out the NDX2 of course, and then there’s the question of a single 555PS not being good enough for a ND555…
PS: You’ll need more Fraim shelves, and perhaps a Brain/Brawn config?

My brother is in NZ. I tried to recommend Naim to him but he ended up with Accuphase. I don’t think dealer support is that great there? Or availability of Naim stock? You’ve done well to get what you have.

Yep. I’m in construction and rates have gone up for sure. For how long though? Things could change in not too distant future. Everything has gone barmy, especially materials prices.

3 Likes

There is a huge shortage in man power and not only that, man power that know what they are really doing. I’ve never been offered anywhere near the rates I’m currently getting now, it’s gone crazy, and there’s no sight of it ending anytime soon! Despite what the gloomy media are predicting…,

3 Likes

I went to 252/250 by way of SN1. I wasn’t happy with the SN and still wasn’t pleased after adding a HC so I went SC2 and it made the SN finally sound worthwhile. So if you’re going the direction of 252 then it makes sense to get a SC or a 250 depending on the availability of each.

3 Likes

The distributer and dealers changed this time last year, but they have always been really good for support - couldn’t fault them really. But stock has always been an issue. Out of all of my gear, I was only able to demo the Uniti2 Cute then the Nova. I heard the NDX2 at a promo night. Everything else has been bought unheard, but they always had a try at home before buying policy with stuff that couldn’t be demoed.

Following the change in the dealerships, there was a run of second hand hi-end Naim gear, but that has quietened down now. There is actually a used 300 DR that has been advertised recently. But having refined my setup recently, I haven’t been able to expose any limitation with the 250 DR with my speakers and listening room, so I’m pretty happy with where I’ve ended up.

2 Likes

Likewise Mike

For me the 252/SCDR/250DR is marvellous

No need to go further ( and I have been further up the Naim tree previously )

4 Likes

That’s rather interesting. So the SuperCap was that much better into SN2 than the HiCap?

Reigniting the flame :fire::thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.