Chord Mojo Hmmmm!

Just disconnected the Mojo, and added the Dragonfly Black to the Raspberry Pi. I think I’m going to run this the next week, to see how I go on. Will bring the Mojo to office as Dac.

Just got my Dragonfly Cobalt. Tying it with UAPP, Oh my this is good, to me much better than the Mojo and the DFB and Ifi. More controlled than the Black, much better bass and treble extension. Happy so far. Need to test it on my main rig at home later.

What is your main rig, CobaltGipsy? Good to know your findings. I like the simplicity of a simple dac directly into a Raspberry Pi.

I cant really get on with the DF in my main rig - it is good, but not as smooth as the Mojo :slight_smile:

I use a fanless NUC thin client that runs Roons OS so its essentially a dedicated streamer as the OS is very minimal and dedicated to audio. I use Meze 99 Classics for the headgear, I only use my dacs for headphones it does not feed in to my Naim system at all. Curently at work listening to James Taylor in MQA using my AKG K550 mkiii with my Samsung TabS2 and it sounds amazing.

well I went and heard the Cobalt.

It is considerably better than the DF red in a very obvious way.

but a Chord mojo it is not, and the Chord Mojo remains the king of the portable DAC to my ears, only beaten by the Hugo 2.

So I am afraid something is wrong with your set up, either the USB cable is damaged (which happens a lot to me as I travel a lot), or something else.

3 Likes

We are all going to like different things. Neither of us is right or wrong. I just don’t like sound of the Mojo and find it’s overatted and a little to sedate for my tastes.and left me going wtf to all the praise. I was expecting something much more.

I wa using new cables by the way and I was never so bored with my music. It might not like my headphones I suppose but I am not changing them as they sound superb with everything else and more so with the DFC. I am very happy with my DFC as is the owner of the Mojo I borrowed as he’s selling it on as he prefers the DFC to.

I have an original Hugo for portable duties, but heard the Chord Poly-Mojo earlier this year and thought it even better, I doubt I’ve heard a better portable setup.

Hopefully Chord will release a Hugo 3 with built in Poly.

Or even a Choral Poly to match Blu2 & Dave, now wouldn’t that be nice?

I installed a Hugo TT2 this morning, really a big upgrade over just my NDS. I now run Core>NDS/XPSDR>TT2>Anthem amp>Dynaudio excite 12’s…for now. Unfortunately I traded in my Sopra1’s to fund the TT2 purchase, but no regrets at all sound wise. I was using my Cary Audio Cinema 12 as a Pre, but took it out, the TT2 now acts as the DAC and Pre.

To release monies you could sell of the NDS/XPSDR, and get something like SOTM. I corresponded with Chord, and they doubt that super-expensive streamers make much difference with their DACs… That of course might change when they launch their Hugo 2Go… :wink:

Possibly, but I am going to hang onto them for now, I want to give the TT2 a good few months in my system before making any further moves.

This morning I compared my Mojo (which I won in the competition at the Bristol Show!) verses the NDS powered by a 555dr. The Mojo was fed by a Mac - Audioquest Jitterbug - USB cable supplied with Kindle - Mojo - Audioquest Tower interconnect - Nac 252.

Yes, the NDS was better but it was alarmingly close, given the gulf in price.

Yes I would need a longer listen to really appreciate the musicality and enjoyment factors, but it’s not really a fair fight, at least on paper. It does make me wonder what a Qutest or TT would sound like, especially if fed by a cleaner source.

Keith

1 Like

Demo!!! :grinning:

That being said, the Mojo isn’t as good. Less punch, thicker, less tuneful bass, less clarity. My wife easily picked the differences too. It might be a different story with Innuos or microRendu as a source. The Poly would also be interesting.

Yes, it is not the optimal situation for a mojo. I do personally use it with a Allo digione, purposemade cables into nac 72. I believe that the smoothness of the mojo is a good match to the slight forwardness of the olive stuff.

Having said that, the Naim used dac chips are something special which I miss now and then in the chord mojo. E.g. the tuneful bass and punch.

Feed the mojo from the spdif output of the NDS…

1 Like

I don’t have a suitable cable. I could buy one but I’m not sure it’s worth it for the mojo, unless I’m serious about using the NDS as a streamer only. Realistically your then your looking at the Qutest as a minimum and that has full sized SPDIF input.

I just added a TT2 to my NDS, using the NDS as Streamer only connected the BNC out to the BNC in on the TT2 using a Naim DC1 cable…with ten clip on ferrites on the DC1. I am pretty sure this is the configuration I will stick with, but plan on switching back to NDS as a DAC also, just to see…

1 Like

I haven’t ruled that route out. I’m still reeling from Naim’s decision not to make an NDS2, thus making my upgrade path very expensive. Sadly, the Chord DAC route can also get out of hand if you end up buying the M Scaler to go with the TT.

It’s worth it

1 Like

M Scaler is a superb product - well worth trying.