Chord Silent Mount SM7

Just ordered a set of SM7. Working on carpet? I’m in… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Claus
I have Audiovector Si3 Signature . What difference did the SM7 make? What type of floor do you have?

I live in a apartment building with concrete walls and floor but with wooden floor over the concrete below. and I have carpet in the entire room, so the original Audiovector spikes made much sense. As I remember the change it is much like what is written in the different blogs on the net more details better seperation among voices and instruments, a rather typical upgrade advantage. But it is 5 years ago and I never removed them to test iif they did work as I heard it when they were put under the speakers. . At the start I am told Ole from Audiovector did not like them not because they did not work but more on the looks of them, but now I am told they use Ansuz darkz witch I guess looks even worse.

Got the SM7 under my 805s…and, by golly, they do seem indeed to make everything that bit clearer. Like em! Impressed even in only the short time I had to listen today. Looking forward to more at the weekend, even with a noisy SN3 that looks like it’ll need hospital…

When I have the cash, I want to try SM7 under my Fraim.

1 Like

I also have SM7 under my speakers, SL2s, most excellent. Officially, Chord recommends SM7 for speakers only, not racks. For racks, either SM5 or the more expensive titanium disks are specified. I have no experience with either of the latter, just thought I would mention it.

Interesting that SM5 is recommended for racks, I wonder if they mean shelves. The weight of the whole Fraim would require the larger 7, I presumed.
I dread to think how much the titanium are!

Whilst in at my local dealer (the retail arm of the Naim and Chord importer here in NZ) picking up some fraim chips to put under my SL2s, I asked if they had any opinions on Silent Mounts. “Here” they said, handing over a couple of sets of SM7’s. “Take these home and let us know what you think”.

I doubt I want to spend what they’re asking for them, and rather hope that the fraim chips will be sufficient. I probably should install them I guess…

The weight rating for 5s and 7s is the same - 50kg per disk. I think the difference with the 7 is that it spreads the load and uses its surface area to better disperse the higher energies from speakers.

1 Like

Hi Lyndon, John Wstson at Mana used to recommend putting 4 small thin squares of wood or laminate on the floor under the spikes to avoid damage. Ideally fixed in place on the floor with a small amount of blutack squashed flat.

Thanks @Elfer… Good to know. Maybe 5s for under the Fraim then :slight_smile:

@JonoB I’d be interested in your comparisons - I have chips under my SL2s.

Statement from Chord when questioned on the SM to use for racks: For an equipment rack, we recommend the SM5T. If you require a black finish, then the SM7’s would be the best choice.

Given that anyone using Fraim will need 3 (or multiples of 3 if you have more than 1 stack) and the fact that they come in a pack of 4, don’t we need a central coordinator to handle the “leftovers”? I must have a couple of spare SM5 Titanium’s hanging around.

3 Likes

Good point,
If I go down that route and having two Fraim racks, I will either be in excess of two (buying 2 sets) or need two extra (buying 1 set).

I asked Chord about this (when they were new) and they said they would be available in packs of 3. However, I have never since found a retailer selling packs of 3.

1 Like

It’s quite amazing on an emotional level how much closer to rhe music I feel with these SM7s

£1200 is a lot of money but for me… serenity. Chicane sounds, like Chicane. Spacious, subtle, peaceful.

I have to get a Fraim now.

2 Likes

You could try @Cymbiosis, if anyone can help, I’m sure they could.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how they are made, what they are made of or how they are supposed to work?
There is precisely NO information on the Chord website.

I asked too and was told that they’re sold only in packs of 4…

There’s an interview here which provides some insight.