Cinema Movie Review

Got to say that I think this is my favourite Batman film.

I did not find it overlong. I loved the characterisation & portrayal of all the villains, this is also the best version of the Catwoman, as well as a much better integrated character within the plot.

I thought Alfred was used to the right degree for the plot, and I enjoyed the way that Bruce Wayne’s acknowledgement of what he was to him was delayed to best effect.

I thought the bookending of the film was superb and powerful, ‘I am vengeance’; that vengeance is a poor goal. It is only likely to poison you and all those around you.

Were there elements open to criticism, of course. But nothing that dragged me out of the film.

I will be seeing this again.

M

2 Likes

Interesting, I do agree that’s it’s very good, and Zoe Kravitz is probably the stand out, but for me it was just way too ponderous and derivative of Fincher’s finest (a case of ‘Se7en light’) to oust the Nolan movies for me.

That observation and comment based on a single viewing though, and I certainly think it was compelling enough to watch again, so I do look forward to a second viewing when available over the streaming platforms to reassess.

I thought the direction was excellent, the music underpinned the narative, there were a series of arcs that worked well together. I loved Batman’s partial arc and look forward to how he develops.

There are elements to Tim Burton’s and Nolan’s Batmen that I thoroughly enjoy, I just felt that this whole film worked well in a way that earlier iterations didn’t.

I can see the Fincher critique, but it didn’t detract from the film for me.

1 Like

Although I do enjoy The Batman soundtrack, and it works very well with the film, it is a rip off of Danny Elfman’s Sleepy Hollow music.

Went to see ‘Phantom of The Open’ at the pictures yesterday. A charming tale based on a true story about a hapless golfer who entered The Open golf tournament under false pretences.

A heartwarming, funny story and a very welcome diversion from all the tales of woe currently dominating the news on TV. Recommended.

1 Like

Ambulance

Got dragged to see this by my wife, who had heard it compared to Speed. The only way I felt that use of the word speed was justified was in Michael Bay’s directorial style, I felt that must have been under its influence. Frenetic.

This is a film that is appallingly boring on a number of levels. It was interesting to compare it to ‘The League of Gentlemen’ that I watched the other day. In that film you have a long build up in which you follow both the planning and the execution of a bank robbery by professionals. In this film you get none of the build up. The brother of the gang leader happens to go to see him on the day of a bank robbery and gets folded into the job, which really tells you everything you need to know. Undurprisngly the robbery quickly goes off the rails. The one area where the gang was presumably professional was in the initial execution, that is not even shown.

What procedes is an elongated chase sequence in an Ambulance where the robbers have huge concern not to kill the patient in the back, who is a copper, whilst simultaneously killing tens of his colleagues. The following police morph into parody due to their numbers, a la The Blues Brothers, whilst never simply closing down the roads and deploying stingers to bring the farce to a close.

I simply didn’t really care about any of the characters.

Please avoid.

M

2 Likes

Finally got to see The Batman yesterday with my son, after a few weeks postponement because of my covid roughness lingering on.

My main impression I came away with was that it felt like a proper film, with Batman doing real detective work (like in the classic Animated Series) and not just punching everyone’s lights out. Didn’t seem overlong to us, had plenty of good performances, and great set pieces.

3 Likes

Older I grow, the less these American ‘big’ films appeal, especially superhero/action stuff.

Last one I truly enjoyed was Hell Boy: Golden Army.

I understand (I think?) that Batman/Joker etc is a metaphor, just don’t get the popularity.

Perhaps I need to go to the cinema more. Or get a big TV (and that’s not happening).

2 Likes

The Northman

This was rather different from what I imagined. The plot is simple but what kept me thoroughly engaged was the setting. The writer and director created a culture that felt real and faaaar removed from Christian influences. I loved the weaving of Norse mythology through the film and the invented religiosity that managed to feel true.

The principles of this film are so far removed from our culture that trying to think of who is the protagonist may have you scratching your head, yet the people within this narrative act with honour according to their creed.

This is a film that hasn’t done good business and I cannot say I am surprised, it ticks little in the way of standard cultural references. There is a hero’s journey here, just not a Judeo-Christian one.

If you want a journey to a place far away from our cultural norms and expectations then this violent tale may well fit the bill, I will be watching it again.

2 Likes

I would have liked to see it," I am Amleth " yes, it doesn’t take Poirot to have worked out it’s an anagram of Hamlet

But it is getting swamped at the Multiplex by the likes of Dr Strange , shame that .

My trip to the pictures left me decidedly underwhelmed by the Secrets Of Dumbledore , it was like reading a fifteen year old’s political essay. I have seen all the Potter and Fantastic Creatures films, but this was decidedly “Hobbit” like. i.e the first set of films were brilliant but then trying to cash in with an overlong prequel.

And it was dark, badly photographed . To set part of a film in Bhutan and not to capitalise on it was criminal

Top Gun Maverick. The plot is a bit thin and not hard to predict, and the banter and bravado of the young Top Gun pilots rather jars for us reserved (uptight) Brits. But…the action scenes, as expected for Tom Cruise movies, are brilliantly executed, I liked some of the retro songs used in the soundtrack, and I found the 2 hours thoroughly entertaining. Recommended.

8 Likes

Hi Mike,

J & I would be rather kinder than you. The flying is, as you say, excellent. My memory of the first film, which I have seen once decades ago was …meh, OK. This I enjoyed far more. Now this may be because I have been pump primed by an endless stream of anti-heros with flaws as large as the Grand Canyon, so this is simply refreshing in its lack of personal angst. But, I also have no great regard for the first film to play upon.

I agree that the plot is hardly Dostoevskian, but then it is not that type of film. The third act is simplified but worked to deliver the emotional beat that most of us would want.

I am SO glad that there was no subverting of expectation!

M

2 Likes

I saw Top Gun : Maverick last night and as my brother succinctly summarised - “Utter tosh. Utterly brilliant “

5 Likes

Top Gun -Maverick at IMAX. Great film, don’t bother reading criticism.

5 Likes

As Top Gun as it gets:)

Not the soundtrack tough….

Had the misfortune to see Thor , Love and Thunder.

I’m reading my way through the five graphic novels that support one arc to this film.

Christian Bale is superb , the rest a load of old rubbish. It’s a tragedy not a comedy and should be played as such.

Every scene that doesn’t have Mr Bale in it should be re-shot . I don’t mind a film being a load of tosh - but this was a mish-mash of differing styles and genres .

1 Like

Was it shot in Preston? Grimier bits of the UK like Glasgow, Liverpool doubled for Gotham - surprised to see my old head office (the Royal Exchange ) in one .

1 Like

I have seen none of the Phase 4 films. Marvel have lost the plot. I loved the first Thor film. Branagh worked hard to have the audience take the characters seriously and deliver heightened emtionality. Taika Waititi has a good sense of humour but it needs to be reined in; much like Jackson whose unrestrained excesses ruined The Hobbit, and was barely held in check for the latter two LOTR films.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you, I was thinking how good some of the X-Men films (and Logan ) were , and then comparing them to the travesty I paid good money to see on Monday .

I should say Christian Bale takes it seriously and is not there for the pay day. As for Russell Crowe , I was so disappointed to see him in the credits afterwards .

I find it incredible when you see how recent the MCU high point was that the ability to write cogent, cohesive and emotionally resonant films has collapsed so quickly.

Logan was also excellent. Unfortunately the re-joining of the Marvel IPR has coincided with a drop in the MCU’s ability to write.

There is chatter about MCU product flooding the market, as Disney did post-Solo. None are so blind as those who will not see.

I was rather encouraged by Stranger Things 4, which I felt was a return to form after Season 1; with the reservation that at least one of the major returning characters needed to sacrifice themselves. Rather than a minor one for no good reason.

1 Like