CISCO 2960 - Any replacement or update?

I am thinking of updating / replacing my Netgear ethernet switch. The Cisco 2960 gets good reviews on this forum going back to 2019. Is it still a current model or has it been replaced? If it has been replaced/updated is its successor recommended? Or should I go for a refurbished 2960?

I would pick up a refurbished model reset by the seller to factory settings.

1 Like

They are reliable workhorses with very little to go wrong, and buying a new current model is likely to cost you quite a bit. I would just buy a used 2960.

Similarly to @pumpexch this is something Iā€™ve been wondering about buying, especially as I may have to change the location of my current Netgear x 4 switch.

Could anyone please expand on which Cisco 2960 version is best to buy? A quick search reveals numerous variants, housed in white or blue cases and with different acronyms associated with the case? Bewildering!

Any of the 8 port 2960s will be fine. Most have 10/100 ports, which is good for audio use, and is what all Naim streamers use. They usually have one or two gigabit ports off to one side as well if you need them: these ports usually have SFPs as well, which you might want if you intend to use fibre, but otherwise you can ignore this.
Some can supply DC power as POE. You can usually spot these by the cooling fins on the back if the model number doesnā€™t make it clear. Others can only run on POE, and these are easily spotted as they have no IEC power socket. Just as well to avoid both of these variants unless you intend to use POE.

The blue case models are just older (and often therefore cheaper) versions that were replaced by the white ones. Either will be fine. Whichever one you buy, ask the seller to restore it to factory default as this is a little complicated unless you have the relevant IT skills to do it yourself.

2 Likes

Chris, my Cisco looks like this. I think the two upper ports on the RHS are SFPs, whatever that means. Do you know what they are and if they can be used for an optical connection to a suitably equipped device?

SFP = Small Form factor Pluggable. Most commonly used for optical transceivers

Hi, ports 9 and 10 are dual purpose, and you can either use the lower RJ45 port just like any other, or use the SFP port above if you want to use fibre. Just plug in a suitable SFP module and connect the fibre optic cable to that. I do this to connect three cisco switches together to network my house, and itā€™s pretty cheap and easy, but probably unnecessary in most cases.

Thatā€™s fabulous Chris - many thanks. :+1:

Iā€™d stay away from the older units with onboard PS. The newer PD models are better by quite a bit in my system than the older models. Iā€™d try to get one of the models below if you can. And if youā€™re inclined you can get one of each and try out POE in your last leg.

WS-C2960CPD-8PT-L (sends POE)
WS-C2960CPD-8TT-L (receives POE)

2 Likes

Yes, the SFPs can be a multitude of fibre types or twisted pair.
With fibre itā€™s important to use the right fibre type/SFP combination for successful operation.

I suggest if you want to try fibre you focus on 1000 Base SX SFP for multimode fibre for ease of use and minimum special handling.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just got a CISCO 2960 today, may I ask which mode am I supposed to use if my network signal comes from a TPLINK X60 MESH ?

SYST
STAT
DPLX
SPD

Am I supposed to plug the source signal into the ā€œCONSOLEā€ then the 272 into 1 out of the 8 ports ?

thanks

i think console is for computer hook up, i thought it is the one with the yellow round it on the right.

Iā€™ve tried the yellow one also. No signal. Do I need to configure it ? If yes, how ? I thought just plug the source signal into yellow one then 272 into 1 of the 8 ports, but no signal.

please help.

thanks

Depends. If it was factory reset (or new) you shouldnā€™t have to. If it comes with the previous ownerā€™s configuration still stored, you may well have to. Itā€™s a powerful device that can do things that would inhibit traffic if configured in a way that does not fit your network.

This should help for the how:

You should just use ports 1-8 for router source and 272. Leave the other ports alone unless you have to use the console port if the above doesnā€™t work.

Black cable below is from router. Orange to devices.

1 Like

thanks gthack. Iā€™ve tried that, but no signal. Any idea why and how could I fix that ?

My plan if that didnā€™t work for my switch was to follow setup guide from Cisco: Catalyst 2960 Switch Getting Started Guide (8-Port Switches), February 2008 - Cisco

or similar. Luckily my switch worked out of the box. The console port requires a special cable, the setup guide section should work with ports 1-8. Thereā€™s also a reset process described in the instructions that might be worth following.

Having said all that, theyā€™re are lots of folks more knowledgeable on here that will have better ideas. I have done some basic admin on Cisco switches, about 20 years ago, I was frankly relieved mine worked without needing to get involved with configuration.

The ā€˜Modeā€™ that you refer to is in fact just a set of diagnostic LEDā€™s - SYStem, STATus, DuPLeX and SPeeD. The button simply rotates through each in turn depending on what the user wishes to see. The ā€˜Consoleā€™ port is purely for configuration purposes and does require a special cable known as a roll-over. Describing how to connect to it is a little more involved than I have time for right at this minute, but it may also not be required to resolve your current issue.

The port on the far right of the switch is known and an uplink port, and is generally used when connecting to other network infrastructure devices - another switch for example. They are often capable of connecting at faster speeds in order to carry more of the information from your connected devices to the rest of the network. Depending on the layout of your network, it may make sense to utilise this for its intended purpose. Where does your X60 Mesh connect today?

The post from gthack shows a great starting point for connectivity, and one which increases your chances of success. However, if you are able to provide a basic pencil like diagram of your network today, we/I may be able to provide further assistance.

Regards

JR

2 Likes

My network is really simple.

Original fiber optic modem <> TP Link DECO X60 MESH(wifi6) in living room <> another DECO X60 MESH(wifi6) in study room

MESH(wifi6) CISCO 2960 272