Cisco 2960 has broken

Actually a Cisco Catalyst switch will do that if there are certain error conditions on your home network, it’s a protection mechanism, remember these are designed as commercial rather home devices where errors could cause big issues… it’s called Error Disable ing the ports… it’s worth asking your friend to see if this is what happened.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D53i00000Kt17x/error-disable-port-state

The the port lights should have orange status, rather than green.

2 Likes

Well that makes perfect sense Simon, now you say it. As been having a few problems the last few weeks with total drop outs, etc.
Whatever, its cost me almost £500 so far, the little bugger. Plus i guess if i do hear a differenc, it will only cost me more.

He is a IT guy and had it hooked up to his PC, will ask him tomorrow as i know he is working right now

Yep it’s worth finding out if this indeed is what happened, as if so it points to an issue on your home network. A lesser basic switch won’t notice this and you might just see gremlins and things not working occasionally as expected or slow downs or drop outs. A possible issue could be a network loop of some description with multiple wifi access points…

1 Like

Well the only 2 things that have changed lately is, my daughter is back home and working from home, work sent her a work laptop that links to the main network at her office?
Plus right now they are digging all the roads up in the village, as running new fibre cables ready for the switch over, later this year.
Dont know if that could do it, but i guess time will tell if this one does it, or my old one, when i get it back

1 Like

At least 3 times a week openreach are in the cabinets on our road…a bit worrying? I am with Virginmedia…the grey cabinets…not saying they are any better…but they are left well alone, unless an upgrade.

No, it will be nothing to do with that…

Sounds like many new customers being enabled for VDSL services from ISPs using BT/OpenReach infrastructure… this does require cabinet access if the twisted pair line has not been activated for VDSL already.

1 Like

Well this turned out to be more than I was expected tonight, simple 2 minute job turned into 3 hours.
So first job, go get old cisco switched back, get it back in and on.
Next job find space for the ER on the rack.
Sort out cable run as it really needed it, due to messing about with cables when I swapped over turntables and finally messing about with my Internet the other night.
But it’s all back up and running once again and the little ER is already running luke warm

Cables before and after, now pushed back closer to wall and more lagging fitted to mains cables and speaker cables, along with a bit more dressing

I do find the lights a bit off putting on the ER, especially when the green one flashes, but will let it burn in over the next week and then do some sound tests, but right now it’s sounding rather nice

Do try comparisons blind if you have an assistant to help

Yes i will do my best, will leave it for a while to settle in

Well it was sounding nice till tonight, day 3 and its gone a bit edgy sounding, not great, hopefully just part of it running in.
Was going to swap over the cables to remove it, but going to watch snooker instead, so as you can see its bad lol

:scream: :scream: :scream:

It was that bad, snooker it was last night, hope tonight its better

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.