Cisco c2960 - 8TC

I have to replace my network switch and it would be a good time to put a cisco in the system. I am not that technical on networking and have a question on the number of connections available.
On my existing Netgear GS108 there are 8 ports, one port for the main incoming and 7 ports are then available for devices.
So on the cisco when it says it has 8 ethernet ports and 2 uplink ports does that mean the main incoming ethernet plugs into the uplink port and then there is upto a maximum of 8 devices connected to the ethernet ports.
Thanks for any help with this.

Yes!

Itā€™s a fairly cheap ā€˜upgradeā€™ option as long as you buy second hand. However, make sure that the Cisco switch you buy has been reset to ā€˜default settingsā€™ otherwise you may encounter problems.

Some people report an uplift in SQ, although I have to say that the SQ uplift in my systems was very very marginal (if present at all) at best, though you will undoubtedly be getting a very robust product for your network.

1 Like

Thank you for the response, very helpful

I noticed a very significant upgrade to the sound in my system. I had everything else sorted but the switch hadnā€™t even occurred to me until I started reading positive things on here about the cisco. I thought for under a hundred pounds that I would give it a try.
Maybe the reason I heard such an uplift was because I had paid very careful attention to my system set up, and had paid the same attention to my streaming set up, and by now dropping the switch in I had possibly removed a ā€œbottleneckā€ in my streaming set up.

You can use any port for any purpose and itā€™ll work fine unless itā€™s been configured in some way by a previous user.
The ā€˜uplinkā€™ ports are nearly always GB speed, faster than the regular (usually 100MB) ports, but for a streamer 100 is more than enough.
In practice it makes sense to use the faster ports for the busiest devices, such as your router, and perhaps a server if you transfer large numbers of files to it.

Thanks for a very concise reply.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.