Cisco Catalyst 2960 before Uptone etherRegen (or eR by itself)?

@Michaelb prefers without too. Dark Bear prefers with the Cisco. During the 20 first hours I preferred with, but not after the ER was run in.

2 Likes

Nigel @anon4489532 bought the EE switch, and likes it, good for him.

1 Like

I mightā€™ve misread but I thought I saw where HH went back to the Ciscos.

Oops missed if thats the case.

Iā€™m not 100% sure but I thought I read that he did. Iā€™m sure heā€™ll set me straight if not.

1 Like

I have an EE and am really happy with it. The fact that the ER looks horrible and everybody then obsesses about which of umpteen power supplies to get put me off. The EE is plug and play and works for me. I really donā€™t care if the ER or whatever is this weekā€™s favourite is better, the EE is a lot nicer than the Cisco and Iā€™m fine with that.

8 Likes

Looks like it was me that misread. :smiley:

Does it work optimally straightaway or does it require some some burn-in period?

I canā€™t say I noticed any further improvement over time but then I wasnā€™t looking for it. Sorry thatā€™s not more helpful - Iā€™d love to be able to say that following rigorous monitoring it reached optimum performance in 11.7 days. I suspect a lot of this is simply getting used to the new sound rather than run in per se.

2 Likes

Thanks @anon4489532, I think I know what you mean.

Just introduced this 2960 in between my router and EE switchā€¦(generic Ethernet in, chord to EE). Not being technical I have relied on a plug and play approachā€¦it works but Iā€™m not impressed with the SQ. Any comments appreciated.

I never used that yellow port at the endā€¦just plugged everything into ports 1 to 8 and let it do its switching.

1 Like

Yes the port on the far right is a gigabyte port, try moving the lead with the yellow plug to one of the group of eight which should be less ā€˜noisyā€™.

Does that mean that you could plug the Ethernet cable from the router into, say, port 1 and take the signal out to the EE switch from any one of the other remaining ports 2 - 8?
I had guessed that the ā€œyellowā€ port was the input port.
I am also guilty of judging it very soon after plugging it all inā€¦it did not cope well at all with a complex choral piece. Iā€™m in a busy and impatient modeā€¦need to take a few deep breaths!

Thank you @Gazza and @MichaelF - Iā€™ll try that. I bought it to reduce noise and allow the EE to work even more efficiently - this switch has been a good buy.

The separate port on the R would traditionally be used as an ā€˜uplinkā€™ port, which is why its a GB port. So yes, you could try the regular ports for your peripheral devices, although the GB port should auto-negotiate to 100MB when required, so either way it will work.

Thank youā€¦Iā€™ll give it a try, although the system (sound) is settling downā€¦as am I.

Despite one some say, it doesnā€™t matter which port you plug into on the front, including the right uplink portā€¦ they are all switched the same way.
If you not happy try moving network equipment around to see if that changes things.
My ER connects to my main Cisco house switch system and seems to work well with the ER, there is certainly no compatibility issues.
BTW I have both switch power-supplies separate to my audio ones.

Thanks simonā€¦Iā€™m going to let it settle down while playing stuff while I go off to do something elseā€¦it only arrived from Germany today and I need to let it warm up etc. The rest of the family think Iā€™m nuts, buying another switch when Iā€™ve already got one!!

I honestly donā€™t see the point of inserting a Cisco in front of the EE when all it seems to be doing is acting as a single pass-through. I have a Cisco there, but itā€™s handling most of the other household stuff too.

2 Likes