Classic vs. 500 series finish

I have had both in the same system and unless you are standing nearby or deliberately looking for it, you don’t notice the difference. Even then, it’s quite subtle once its sitting in an equipment rack. If I were looking for one and didn’t plan to end up with a full 500 series, I wouldn’t pay extra for the 500 finish.

1 Like

I believe it was @Richard.Dane who said that after testing there was a difference in sound and that the 500 finish sounded better.

1 Like

Yes, this was tested extensively by Jason G at the factory - while any sound difference is understandably not huge the unpainted anodised finish was consistently preferred.

3 Likes

That’s good to know @Richard.Dane i will bear that in mind :+1:

I have an NDX 2 with a 555 PS. The one advantage I can see to the difference in finish is when I need to shut the NDX 2 down to reboot, or whatever, it’s easy to tell the difference between the PS for the 300, and the Supercap just by feeling the case. The 555 is smoother.

1 Like

I have a NDS on top of one rack and at the top of the rack adjacent a anodised 555 PS DR. I prefer the anodised case and easier to dust. There is nothing even vaguely jarring about the mix of the two with both on top let alone on lower shelves. I wouldn’t worry about it would be my advice. I stand to be corrected by my forum colleagues but my memory was you could get the 555PS in both finishes and had to pay a premium for the anodised. If looking s/h far more important in my view is picking up a DR version as that upgrade is no longer offered I believe.

1 Like

Exactly this

1 Like

You’re all right, in the end, you really cant tell the difference in finishes once in the rack (guess the 555PS location)

8 Likes

Third shelf from the bottom? It looks less dusty!

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

What a beautiful setup. I like the original Classic design much better than the new one.

3 Likes

Thanks @Radikal. I like the clean look. When I eventually swap the hicap for a supercap, and move the core, I will be very happy :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.