Clay shooting

Since leaving the RAF at the end of 1990, I hadn’t shot anything other than my air rifle til April. A workmate invited me to a clay shoot, and I think I’m hooked. It’s a really chilled bunch of people who form the club, with no snobbery at all.
I applied for my shotgun certificate about three weeks ago, and I’ve already had to pay for the drs letter, my referee has responded, I’ve bought a cabinet, and the copper has visited. Eek. The copper was great, spent nearly 90 minutes generally chatting and every now and then getting serious. I think all has gone well, so fingers crossed I’ll have the certificate in two or three weeks.

My local firearms dealer is only two miles away, so I suppose I’ll be visiting soon just to have a look and a chat. I’m left handed and left eye dominant, but as yet I’ve no idea on budget (lots of home reworks at the mo… £££).

What really surprised me was how relaxing the clay shoots were. And handily, one of the gang owns a pub!

2 Likes

Long- time sporting clays shooter here. Beretta DT10 and AL391 auto-loader. love ‘em both!!

1 Like

DT10s a lovely gun as is the AL

It took me a year to get my cert… They are very slow in my part of the county for some reason,

My advise is get one that fits and feels right, also I wouldn’t go in for entry level as once you get the bug for it you’ll only buy another and lose 500 quid on the part exchange…

Beretta Silver pigeon is a nice gun
Or
Browning 525 / 725

Also look at second hand you can get some
Really good deals & most have been regularly cleaned and looked after…

Lastly, right or left eye dominate definitely try and shoot with both eyes open… made a big difference to me… :eyes:

3 Likes

Both eyes open, start gun down.

1 Like

After a long break due to restrictions need to get back out, shooting ground is damn close so no excuse…

have 525 Sporter (which I personally prefer over the 725) and 694 Sporter, oh and loads of cartridges left over from not being able to shoot…so definitely no excuses for not going out…

Enjoy

1 Like

I’ve never tried a 525… I had an old 325 and absolutely loved it !
Traded it in for a 725 S3 Black and didn’t get on with it at all!
Funny isn’t it,

My Browing Maxus cost me 900quid and it’s without doubt my fav…

All about the fit I guess!

I think the weight as well, for me anyways., the 725 is a little heavy for me (note - I am just over 6ft and reasonably fit),
The Maxus is prob a little over 7lb, so a good weight.

Some folks prefer heavier guns for recoil, etc…not me, the 525 & 694 are a good weight for me.

That’s probably what it is… my blasers recoils quite a bit… (I use lyalvale power blues)
But the maxus’s recoil is probably half of the F3s…
might chop it in for a 555ps :joy:

1 Like

I’ve just put a deposit down on a used Baikal 12 gauge, over/under. As soon as my certificate arrives I’ll call the shop and arrange collection.
It is far from perfect, but I need to find out how much shooting I’m going to do, and what I need from a gun. It’s nice and tight, with very little wear, almost unmarked stock, six chokes and original box. I can’t really go wrong.

2 Likes

Have a think about buying a matching 1/2 or 1/4 choke and shoot with the same in o&a…

I could never see the point of having them different…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.