Cleaning power cables contact

I have discovered one year ago that cleaning contacts is very useful for sound quality. Was not believing in that before.
So I cleaned all .

But now I am wondering if it’s useful to clean power cables contact, or only cables going into components and speakers.
I feel it’s yes, but as my powerblock has a difficult accessibility, I would be glad to hear no.

I’ve always felt it helps from low-cost tweaking with older cheaper systems but is a bit of a chore.

The question that I think we now have is do cleaners of any kind leave harmful non-conductive residues even if the oxidised pins on the leads looks nice and shiny after cleaning.

1 Like

I bought recently the Audience 24U SX speakers cables. Inside the box there is a cleaning fluid dedicated for that job. So I feel they know well what they advise. I hope so.
6 months ago I cleaned all the contacts with isopropyl diluted in water, that I use for lps.
I made really a difference.

Put the ends in an ultrasonic cleaning tank for 10 seconds then dry thoroughly I would have thought best option…

Just make sure they are not still plugged into the mains supply though!

1 Like

It’s a joke Mick?

No I would gave thought it would be the easiest quickest best option.

I put my seiko divers watch in one at work for 20 seconds once. Was amazed how much gunk came off.

Can you post a picture of the ultrasonic cleaner you have ? How much it costs?
Because the ultrasonic cleaning machines for lps cost maybe 2k and more. No way to invest in it.

Guys, I have my response. It’s on the picture.

I Caig deoxit’d everything (including plug contacts in wall socket and on plug socket at component end) during a lightning concern switch off and i swear it sounds better to me. More insight on a streamed album which sounded a bit muddy before.

Is it safe to clean plug contacts in the wall? How do you do that ?

With what you clean them and what quantity of the liquid ?

What i actually meant was the pins on the plug that go into wall socket and the connecting elements on the black box itself.

Hope that clarifies.

Caig deoxit. Just a squirt on a cloth, rub on and insert and remove a few times.

1 Like

Yes, it’s clear. Thanks. Burndys too?

Don’t have burndy type kit unfortunately, but why not?

Of course, Naim don’t recommend using cleaners but just inserting and removing a few times.

Chord are big fans of Caig Deoxit, or were, until they released their own £200 alternative !

1 Like

Thanks for all the precisions

Inserting a wet finger with the power on is not recommended.

1 Like

Hahaha
I didn’t knew that sweetie :smiley:
But seriously, I do that on mornings, instead of coffee, to be quickly awakened.

2 Likes

It was the ultrasonic cleaning tank in my met lab at my last job.
You can get record cleaning ultrasonic tanks for £400.

A small one for jewellery shouldn’t cost more than £25

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.