Cleaning speaker terminals proac

If you have aircon won’t it be lower indoors?

Please post if you get any useful nuggets from Proac. I’ve never much thought about this until now but my Proacs are still fairly new.

Gold may indeed be more reactive than rhodium in the overall scheme of things, but that does not mean it will oxidise in air: to the best of my awareness it does not react with oxygen, even at elevated temperatures let alone at room temperature.

1 Like

I wonder if the terminals are cupro nickel, aka nickel-silver. If so that might explain the susceptibility to humidity and the greenish tinge that the photo seems to show.

If so, maybe worth trying rubbing with a paste of sodium carbonate (baking soda) and water. It won’t harm them whatever the metal*. (Incidentally, the same can be used to remove the stickiness some plastic and rubber like surfaces sometimes develop with age.)

*Edit: whatever the metal is on these speaker terminals: alkaline substances like washing soda will attack the surface of some metals like aluminium, but the chances of these terminals being aluminium are close to zero.

1 Like

Well you can’t use baking soda regularly on aluminium. It corrodes it and causes pitting.

Indeed - avoid alkaline substances with aluminium! when I said whatever the metal I was thinking of the speaker terminals - but indeed I should have been clearer, and will add that caveat.

Correct.

Proac’s website for the d30 mentions the terminals are nickel silver. It is probably the same across the entire lineup. Thanks for your suggestion of baking soda and water ill try it out

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.