Clearing out the loft

I’m sure you and roofer friend will know this but usual guidance is not to block off the top of the cut-back chimney flue under the roofline (and use roof vents) - blocking up can lead to moisture build-up and other issues, especially if the chimney has been used with coal in times gone by.

One of my neighbours uses Gumtree on a regular basis, mainly as a buyer of kit/tools for his workshop. He’s picked-up some great stuff for buttons - often a case of please just take it away.

yup, that is certainly the case in Hampshire. Done two trips recently, getting rid of old fence panels. First trip however, came back with a knitting machine for SWMBO to add to her collection

1 Like

I know what you mean. A couple of years ago I was looking in the wall cupboard in our bedroom, and found my Rega 78 turntable, nicely boxed up. I hadn’t used it for years and it now belongs to someone else.

Can’t quite see the Sutton Coldfield transmitter from our house, but that may be because of the neighbour’s trees obscuring that part of the view. Must ask him to trim them a bit. They are getting to be very tall. IIRC we could see the very top of it when I was last standing on the roof several years ago. I’m getting old and don’t like going up ladders now.

That’s why he’s fitting a breathable membrane. The scaffolding is supposed to be erected today. Alas, I forgot to ask at what time, so was up early. Still waiting … sigh.

I think HL was referring to the actual flue rather than just the dismantled stack. He is correct, the flue should be vented top and bottom to allow air to flow through it. If this isn’t done, it’s very likely that condensation will build up inside it, and start to seep out over time. Any soot and tar remaining will be carried with the water and can cause unsightly staining in addition to damp patches on your walls. It may take months, or even years for this to become evident, at which point you will have to start knocking holes in the wall, so best to do it asap. Any competent builder will know this.

Then you are indeed lucky, shame about the trees :0)

We live a significant distance from our main transmitter ‘Mendip’ but worse still we live in a dip and the local hillock screens us quite effectively from the transmitter. I set up a temporary TV aerial for our neighbour who lives 400 to 500 metres away (higher up) and they get a fantastic signal with a basic antenna, whilst ours has to suck the last dregs out of the feable signal that reaches us. I suppose I could errect an edifice to match ‘Alexandra Pallace’ mast but the neighbours might not be too pleased.

Thanks. I’ve also spoken to our roofer about the potential damp problem, and he assures me that the top of the flue will be open into the loft, and the breathable roof membrane will handle any condensation problems.

The scaffolding’s up, neighbours all warned about the work, and my car will have to be parked on the street as they’re putting a skip in front of the garage door. Roofing starts on Monday. Just praying we don’t have any gales!

Well, the roofers finished last week, and today I finished sorting out the things removed from the loft and putting them back.

Much to my surprise I discovered my old Aiwa HD-S1 DAT recorder in the pile, along with several blank tapes and also a couple of music DAT tapes which I bought when I did use it! I haven’t used it for years and have no use for it. I doubt it has much resell value anymore, what with digital recorders such my own Korg. Don’t know why it was in the loft - worst place for electronic equipment, but it was in a sealed plastic box. I didn’t actually buy it - it was a prize in one of those “free to enter” competitions in one of the HiFi magazines. I used to enter these, and it was amazing how often I won something!

Now, just have to sort out what is general rubbish and what is recyclable before I take the remaining unwanted stuff to the tip.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.