Clocks go back an hour this weekend in the UK. Why?

Nobody considers the wildlife.

Every morning I have 2 or 3 wood pigeon, 3 or 4 collared doves and a squirrel waiting for me to get up at 9 and feed them.
They are going be very confused and disappointed when the clocks go back.

7 Likes

Stick with BST all year round would be better for me.
Who wants darkness at 3pm?

2 Likes

I think daylight saving time is a useless old practice. It actually quite annoys me. I think we should shift the clocks a half hour and just leave them there. When the topic comes up in discussion here, absolutely everyone always agrees with this. A couple of the provinces here in Canada haven’t recognized daylight saving time for many years now. Seems to work fine. And one of them, Saskatchewan, has many farming communities.
Just some thoughts …

1 Like

If everyone realised the Midday really is the middle of the day instead of just a quarter of the way through their waking hours, then there would be no problem.

1 Like

I work several mornings a week, I have no control when I start or finish. Losing a hour of useful light in the afternoon is a pain. Walking/Golf/ outdoor house and garden jobs etc.

4 Likes

I think everybody does realise that there are the same number of hours of daylight regardless of the clock settings. In a pre-electric society then people would have naturally adjusted to do work during daylight hours.

1 Like

They are not going back, more returning to normal - GMT. It is British Summer Time when the clocks change away from ‘normal’.

3 Likes

The biggest problem with clocks changing is when you are owned by cats. They get extremely pissed off with their staff over the change in mealtimes and a miffed cat can be very vocal.

I expect dogs who are blindly loyal humans also get distressed by the change in mealtimes.

BTW Licensing hours in UK pubs are also a carryover from WW1.

2 Likes

Time is a human construct.
Means nothing to my dog and when she needs walking.

1 Like

Being a chef, this means I will lose an hours sleep from having to go an hour earlier to put on the Sunday roast this Sunday.
My body clock is somehow more in tune to GMT. Getting up and going to bed that hour earlier just seems more natural. Yet, in all other respects I much prefer when things are going around - rather than coming around.

Lol, I have a bunch of breakfast (and tea) squirrels too… it’s nice seeing the new young ones work out the routine each year. And how the adults don’t let the young get a look in if they can help it…

Oops…meant in reply to @Fatcat !

1 Like

We have a psychopathic young collared dove at the moment. It heads straight for the centre of the feeding zone. If a dove or wood pigeon comes near it, it lifts its wings to make it look bigger and attacks. Although it doesn’t try that with the squirrel. :grinning:

1 Like

The sensible solution for these times would be to have BST all year round. The nonsense argument about farmers is just that- nonsense - for anyone who doesn’t have to interact with anyone else for most of the day, there’s no issue with the clocks being set to any time. Ditto kids walking to school - why is getting there more critical than back, especially as the data shows more meandering and hanging around post school rather than pre.

But most critically, most of us like to do things in the late afternoon/evening - exercise, walk the dog, etc - and so it being dark that much earlier makes it less easy to do.

Most people would favour it. It would be good for physical health reasons, mental health ones, and generally not inconvenience anyone much - an easy win; you’d have thought.

2 Likes

I agree, but it screws the international time zone logic.
GMT is based on the suns zenith at zero longitude (the Greenwich meridian) set as midday (12:00)
It’s the basis for international navigations zulu time
It will be easier to stay on GMT & adopt a flexible-time system, which is in effect just what daylight saving time is doing,

Won’t you have an extra hour of sleep? The clocks go back one hour, so what would have been 7am becomes 6am.

4 Likes

:thinking::neutral_face::grinning:

3 Likes

My understanding as well it was about energy saving. Very relevant these days.

We had the same issue when I used to work on a farm with barn chickens. We had to gradually change the clocks for the feeding system. A whole 1 hour shift used to completely muck up their laying schedule so we used to do several small adjustments over the course of a month.

1 Like

Actually…

"British Summer Time, also known as Daylight Saving Time, was the brainchild of a builder from Kent called William Willett. The story goes that one day on his way back from riding his horse in Petts Wood near his home in the early 1900s, he noticed many of the blinds and curtains in the neighbouring houses were still drawn, even though it was light. This led him to consider the idea of adapting the time to better fit daylight hours. Back then the clocks were set all year round to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), meaning it was light by 3am and dark around 9pm in the summer.

Although he was not the first person to advocate this, he was perhaps the most driven, using his own resources to finance a pamphlet outlining his idea for adapting to daylight hours during the summer. His original proposal was for the clocks to be put forward by 80 minutes in total, in four steps of 20 minutes each Sunday at 2am during April and turned back in the same way in September. He argued that this would mean longer daylight hours for recreation, improving health and also saving the country money in lighting costs. "

6 Likes

No need to alter Zulu time - UTC can still be midday at sun zenith Greenwich - we just don’t have to organise the country to this…

It’s a costly change, does nothing for energy usage, makes those with seasonal affective disorder worse, and has no tangible benefits…

1 Like