Clueless In Classical

Search for ‘popular classical’ may be drop in a well-known orchestra like ‘London philharmonic’ in your chosen streaming music provider. So many performances that you never knew you knew!

2 Likes

@davidhendon i can recommend the BIS Finnish recordings with the Lahti orchestra in addition to the ones you mention. I’m not so keen on Rattle’s interpretation.

2 Likes

I didn’t mention any. But I agree some of the more recent Finnish recordings are excellent.

2 Likes

Glad to know I’m not alone :wink:

1 Like

Yes, correct, HvK never recorded the Sibelius 3rd symphony. A very strange omission when he re-recorded so many other works, often several times. He was seen as a champion of Sibelius so his ignoring the third is even more mystifying.

1 Like

Aye I should mention Graham by name.

1 Like

Radio 3 is the best station i have ever heard, not the slightest pretentious. Georgia Mann, one of the presenters, currently in the 9am to midday slot, one of their finest presenters. I regard it as one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

6 Likes

Hi Graham,

Im playing the Beethoven’s Complete String Quartets which arrived today. Sounds magnificent and exactly what I was looking for. Rather than the whole Orchestra belting stuff out it has emotion and real life texture that fills the room. I ordered the Philips version but this appears to be DECCA is this the same recording but now relaesed by DECCA?

Just ordered up:
Schubert: Arpegione Sonata - Rostropovich & Britten
Mozart: Le Nozze Di Figaro - as recommended
Elgar Cello Concerto - Jacqueline du Pre
Mozart: The Piano Sonatas - Mitsuko Uchida

I’m really enjoying opening up my musical horizon so thanks again for all the guidance

Pete

6 Likes

Elgar/Du Pre - great choice.

2 Likes

Hello, Pete. Obviously, I don’t know what you have, but Philips and Decca are - along with Deutsche Grammophon - part of the Universal group of companies, so that may have something to do with any confusion.

That said, it would be unusual for an individual recording to migrate (as it were) from one label to another, but I suppose that it might happen.

I wouldn’t give the label another moment’s thought, as long as you’re enjoying the music!

One other Beethoven String Quartet suggestion I’d like to make is slightly unusual, but very wonderful. Leonard Bernstein played an orchestration of Beethoven’s Fourteenth String Quartet (Op 131 in C sharp minor) with the massed strings of the Vienna Philharmonic. It was recorded ‘live’, as was Bernstein’s usual practice late in his life, and released as an LP by Deutsche Grammophon at around the time of his Beethoven Symphony cycle with that orchestra, but was not part of the complete symphony set. I have no idea if the recording is still in the catalogue, but do grab it with both hands if you are ever lucky enough to track down a copy. It is truly amazing to hear this amazingly ‘modern’ music played by the string section of that extraordinary Orchestra.

Hello, again, Pete, I was intrigued by your post, so I looked at the Amazon UK site.

The only Quartetto Italiano set of the Beethoven that I can find there is a CD set on the Philips label (which was what I was expecting). I’m mystified and rather baffled by what you have got, but it doesn’t really matter…

What is important is that you have the Beethoven Quartets, so just listen away, and enjoy the extraordinary music - which includes much of the finest music that even Beethoven ever composed. No one has produced music to match it in the two Centuries since it was written.

I think that does happen sometimes with reissues of older recordings. But it’s basically just a rebranding. You can often check when the music was actually recorded and where, although mid-price reissues are sometimes rather skimpy on the details in the sleeve notes.

I don’t remember records migrating from one company to another within the overall umbrella group of companies, but it may happen.

It’s not migrating from one company to another. Where a company has bought the catalogue and branding of another company as it exited the music business for example, the acquiring company has to decide how to brand reissues it makes. That’s all.

I believe it’s the same recording as the Philips - the one you saw on the Amazon was the one that I bought so they must have used an old picture. On the liner notes it says Philips Classics Productions.

Cheers Pete

IMG_0912
IMG_0913

The Universal Music Group merged Philips into Decca a number of years ago.

Please don’t overlook Brahms or the Schubert works I mentioned. (Frankly, I prefer all of the Schubert works in my list to the Arpeggione.). The Trout Quintet together with the Mozart Clarinet Quintet make a perfect day/night pairing. I see at least three discs that contain both works (two of which I own).

1 Like

Thanks J I will look into your recommendation :+1:

Thank you for that recommendation J . I don’t stream at all, it’s vinyl or CD.

The reason I opened the post was that I’d like to add more classical to my collection in Vinyl or CD format. I have a NDS 5XS but it doesn’t match my TT or CD player in quality or presentation.

What has been so good for me is have not just recommendations of composers but artist renditions so I can hear the best versions of pieces. The Beethoven collection that Graham recommended was a revelation. On my system I could experience the emotion of the music and commitment of the performers it was quite astonishing. I will look at your suggestion thanks much appreciated

Pete

Quartetto Italiano’s Ravel String Quartet is also highly worth hearing. Repeatedly - it’s strikingly beautiful.
One of my desert island discs.

1 Like

I have the Quartetto Italiano mega-box. I don’t buy many mega-boxes, and I let this one pass on it’s first release - and then regretted it. Thankfully, it was re-released. It’s OOP now, but you might find one second hand.

As for Ravel, his piano trio is as good as his quartet. And for something a little different (but gorgeous) try his Introduction and Allegro.

2 Likes