Colds - don't you just hate them!

My COVID gave me very little in terms of coughs and cold symptoms.

The fatigue was enormous

1 Like

Same here back in April (IIRC). Very mild cold-like symptoms but narcolepsy galore for ~2mā€™s.

A friend also appeared to become diabetic (a positive test) from his Covid infection, which took ~4/5mā€™s to work out from a revised diet & exercise.

1 Like

No iritis Svetty. Ok neither of us are getting younger, but this seems to have come on pretty soon post-vaccination to me and I just wonder if itā€™s some kind of immune-mediated reactive arthritis (Reiterā€™s generally has a bacterial trigger from memory) but reactive arthritis can be post viral too, and there are some case reports of presumed post vaccination reactive arthritis.

Thereā€™s inflammatory bowel disease and RA on her side of the family, I think sheā€™s a bit worried about RA though this seems more generalised and of rather sudden onset. Iā€™ve been badgering her to take a day off work and go to the GP and get some bloods done but she keeps saying ā€˜weā€™re too busy at workā€™.

She also had presumed labyrinthitis late summer, and had terrible vertigo and a couple of weeks off work - not sure sheā€™s been quite right since then.

I worked in the healthcare sector for the majority of my career and part of employment agreement was annual flu vaccination. Not sure if both you and I have just enjoyed good luck but I have not had the flu for 40+ years. I have always attributed this to getting the annual shot and practicing good hand hygiene by washing hands often. I also considered the practice a community service since getting the annual flu shot also help reduce the chance of spreading the disease to family, friends, co-workers, and patients when working in a clinical environment.

7 Likes

I had a stinker last Friday and, hey-presto, it had vanished by Saturday.

G

Yes flu canā€™t be serious and many people die from it every year, so surely the responsible thing to do is to protect yourself and others you come into contact with?

Used to work in a large open plan office environment with upwards of 200 colleagues, and while there averaged two or three colds a year.
There is a lot of good to say about good hygiene but unfortunately this wasnā€™t practiced by far too many colleagues so virus transmission was inevitable :microbe: :nose:

Since retiring in 2013 i havenā€™t had a single cold in the past 9 years, although had flu once about 7 years ago. In all my life this is the longest span of time iā€™ve lived without a cold, 9 years and counting :hourglass_flowing_sand: :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

Itā€™s definitely good luck and one I donā€™t take for granted. As for the flu jab, Mrs Pete gets hers regularly and still gets the flu a couple of times a year. Sheā€™s also sick for a few days afterwards as well.

You may need to explain that reply to me (?) :upside_down_face:

Sue & I get our flu jabs next week. Curious as to why our GP Surgery can be so quick off the mark to sign us up for jabs, and yet be so ridiculously slow when you want to talk or see a doctor.

A cynical person might suspect that they get paid more for sticking needles in arms, than they do for actually seeing patients.

But Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not the case.

2 Likes

Mrs Pete use to work in child care and was always sick, the problem is that far too many parents drop their kids off knowing someone has a flu in the house. They inflect the pre school and then their own work space. Think itā€™s a problem of a two working parent household and financial pressure that young families in particular are under, they have to go to work.

If youā€™re not well stay at home, hopefully after covid we may have learnt that lesson but I fear not.

Another post, another dig at how crap GPs are. Iā€™m surprised you bother to avail yourself of themā€¦:roll_eyes:

Still, not to worry, there wonā€™t be many GPs left before long - which considering how cushy a number you appear to believe they have - is somewhat counterintuitiveā€¦

1 Like

Touchwood. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

When my son started school years and years ago, heā€™d bring home a different virus every month, so while he shook them off in 2-3 days, I was laid low constantly just getting worse and worse throughout the year and culminating in two bouts of pneumonia.

When my daughter went to school, I donā€™t recall ever catching anything from her so perhaps Iā€™d built some immunity.

Not sure but I do know kids are like little grem factories. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

And of course as you get older, if you are lucky enough, you get grandchildren to ensue your germs are topped up

Last year our Grandtwins gave me back to back illness for nearly 4 months, when they first went to nursery.

They love sharing. :grin:

Then the dreaded cold-sores.
I always get them just after. Even up the nose.
You want to smile at others to prove your well but no, you canā€™t.

You can buy Acyclovir or Penecyvlovir antiviral tablets now from online pharmacies. I often think that the sensation on my lip is me having knocked or bitten it, only to find in the morning its a cold sore. I now have some tablets by my bedā€¦ā€¦take a dose, and it does stop it in its tracks or clears up quicker.

1 Like