Commodore Amiga

OMG! I never completed it! My first introduction was on the ZX Spectrum :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My first was a BBC Micro…

All the kids at school called me posh :joy:

1 Like

But elite….
Oh elite…

What a game that was!

1 Like

It’s interesting that I never owned an Amiga but rather the Commodore 64, but I was more than happy to spend countless weekends with a wealthier friend who seemed to have everything :relaxed:

The Amiga was also loved by the early computer graphic community, often with many working together to create what for the time were impressive CGI effects. If my recall is correct Babylon 5’s effects were all done on the Amiga and they were highly regarded at the time.

2 Likes

Strongly advise reading
‘On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise & Fall of Commodore’

Very interesting… I love the way they mapped out the 6502 IC masks on huge sheets of tracing paper on the kitchen table; a time when this was all done manually :slight_smile:

1 Like

This computer has the dubious honour of being the first computer owned by me to get a virus and transfer it to other floppy discs in my collection. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ah, those were the days, catching viruses from inserting a floppy without precations :wink: :rofl:

More seriously, I do remember getting my first anti-virus software on a floppy disk.

2 Likes

3 Likes

https://bbc.godbolt.org

CHAIN “LOAD”

1 Like

I remember that haha!

Slightly different to the ones nowadays

5 Likes

Kempston Pro, now you’re talking…

Fully micro-switched… Didn’t get much better did it!

1 Like

I had a pair of the official joy sticks for my BBC ‘B’ they were very strange things more like the control sticks from a remote control model transmitter, but floppy! (no centre return spring)

I wish I had one of those because I must have broken at least 3 joysticks playing the Daly Thompson track and field game :relaxed:

I think that we need a LOL button for occasions like this, clearly a passionate player!

It was an intense game that required a vigorous back and forth motion: completely knackering. Imagine trying to explain to your parents why your joystick has broken again :relaxed:

1 Like

I can see how this might work on so many levels!

Dad talking to Mom, “you can take him to the doctors this time!”

1 Like

Funnily enough I was going to post the same thing - think they had potentiometers or similar for x/y planes and you could get a 10 bit value for each plane so you could say move an item around with a degree of precision but they weren’t great for most games.

1 Like