Compact Camera recommendations

Yes funny it was your post on the other thread that prompted me to seek advice here from the good and the great.

I replaced my Leica D-Lux 4 back in January, with a Leica D-Lux 7.

It takes excellent photos and is extremely versatile, from fully automatic -point & shoot through to super-guru manual.

I do put it in my pocket and it fits in quite easily, but it is noticably larger than the old D-Lux 4 and other pocket cameras such as the Sony’s mentioned above.

2 Likes

I can recommend the Sony RX100 VI - additional advantage also quite some zoom, and still extremely capable…

1 Like

Harrisons in Sheffield are extremely good and very helpful.

I found this one in the loft of an old rented house.Yamato m4 rangemaster Pal.
Not worth much. Although is fully adjustable and compact.
I have kept it still as it takes images and sets them up like you have took them from some time warp. Lovely.

1 Like

Just gone from this to the Xpro-2, both are brilliant game changers IMO

2 Likes

Fujifilm is where it’s at.:grinning:
Happy shooting.

3 Likes

Interesting, just moved from 20 years with Canon. Nikon before that. Both have lost their way IMO

As I see it both have failed to get on board the CSC train. DSLR is yesterday’s camera technology. CSC have all the benefits of DSLR but in a more compact form. The only major draw back I’ve found in battery life but solved by using a powered grip.

I’ve tried a Canon EOS R and really liked it. Slick operation and great IQ. Still a work in progress perhaps for action work but otherwise very nice I thought.

However Fuji have really nailed it with X-T3 imo and they make great glass. Still a shame that Lightroom and Fuji aren’t a great mix.

Sorry to drift off topic.

1 Like

Happy ending. Many thanks indeed to one and all for the great suggestions I did a bit of homework and each had their merits but finally went with my first choice and bought the Fujifilm X100f

Also splashed out on an Anne Barton 1972 whip strap - which sounds like it might be used for something else but is in fact a beautiful camera strap.

9 Likes

Good choice - a lovely machine. I had one of the original X100 cameras and still have my XT-1 which I love using.

Enjoy your trip too.

3 Likes

Whenever I use a camera whether compact or SLR camera, the results never come back as the subject I want to photograph. My frustration is I like taking picture of nature, outside, the certain sky colours I see, the sea at dusk. Basically is there a camera out there which will replicate the subject I want to photograph in relation to size, contrast and everything else. Basically for the camera to do the function of my eyes, to show what I actually see,I don’t think exists as yet?

It’s not about the camera. Try this:

https://www.photographycourses.biz/workshops/cameras_dont_take_pictures

2 Likes

Have a look at the nice pics thread. Are there any that appeal more than others? If so, let us know and why and I’m sure you’ll get some guidance as to camera choice and technique.

2 Likes

Thank you for that link. The video goes a little way as to what I want to achieve. I think the teacher is talking about the thought and preperation process inorder to capture that ‘picture’ the photographer wants which implies the camera cannot capture ‘adhoc’ the view and mood the photographer sees. Often I see a certain horizon but when looking through the view finder the picture is altered and often diminished, so inorder to try and get the view I see I have to adjust the camera and maybe attach the appropriate lens; in other words the camera has to be adjusted to try and achieve the view seen by the photographer. Sometime in the future I think there will be a camera which will act as the ‘eye sees’, maybe the whole lens idea needs to be improved a further technology in regard to lens perhaps?

Thank you for the above. The kind of pictures I am referring to is the scene I see, I don’t want to zoom in, I don’t want to make a wide spread picture, I don’t want to improve the lighting and I certainly do not want to use different filters in the lens… I am looking for a camera which will record what my eye sees without any additions because the view I see is so natural and beautiful. A camera that simply records what my eye see at that particular moment (same size, same mood, same sun light or same aerly evening, etc…). To date I don’t think that camera exists…?

Exactly - the camera doesn’t know what you want to achieve. It’s just a tool to capture light. I’d suggest an introduction to photography book (or plenty of guides available via a quick google). These will help you understand how lens choice and a more manual approach to driving the camera (aperture, shutter speed etc) interact to produce the final image.

A picture can only ever capture a small part of what the eye can see. The photographic magic is what we manage to capture.

Check out some of Mike Browne’s Beginner videos on YouTube. He also has a website.

There are many other online photography gurus but for my money he’s the best at explaining the basics.

Hmmm tricky.

As per James’ reply above, a camera is just a light box and whether recorded on film and then developed, or digitised and then recovered, the image to end product process is down to our chosen preferences. And skills.

It is up to the photographer, not the camera, to come up with an end product that reflects the intent. And this is going to come down to your choice of camera settings, film selection, development or digital processing employed along the way. Though a decent image in the first place can make life easier.

Still bugs me that the most oft heard comment I get is something like ‘Great picture, what camera was that?’!!!

That said, getting back on topic, a useful tool like an X100f is a good start🙂

1 Like