Comparing Super Lumina with NACA5

When I replaced B&W 804 speakers with SF Amatis, kept the A5 initially then quickly swapped out for SL. Speakers and SL cable brand new. Distinct improvement in SQ despite no run-in.

1 Like

I have moved from A5 to SL in 8m, 3 years ago. SL is more refined and layered with a slightly ascending balance. It however indeed lacks some PRaT.
I recently went back to A5 for a week just to make sure. I found then the A5 certainly tuneful, matter with better foundation and greater PRaT but definitely less details and refinement or even microdynamics. I found myself craving for the refinement and layering of the SL within a day or two. The 8m of NACA5 are back into the storage cabinet.

1 Like

We moved to SuperLumina back when we had a 272/250DR. It was a step up in treble clarity and overall detail at the time.

We’ve never heard our 252/300 system without SL!

The SL speaker cables didn’t have as big an impact on our old system as SL interconnect.

1 Like

SL here…too long since I changed from A5 to clearly remember the difference (and there was an interlude with TQ Black II in between). SL has a vivacity and clarity I’ve always very much liked, a nice ‘liveliness’ and sense of a band playing together.

Can’t wait to hear WH Spectre, but that’ll have to go some to best SL (and…who knows…it might, dunno).

1 Like

I’ve had both and much prefer the SL for refinement, clarity, wider and deepe soundstage and more taunt bass, overall just very natural and organic in its presentation. The end result being a more immersive presentation.

One thought, ideally you should have SL jumpers, rather than mixing wire topologies. They are rare though, it took me quite a while to find an affordable set second hand.

4 Likes

At one month the 552 isn’t fully run it yet, not sure about the SL as I don’t have it but it’s also reputed to take its own sweet time.

1 Like

From my experience, I can summarize the difference between them-
S.L-More hi-fi
N.5-more music

3 Likes

Hi Mike,

I was just surfing through other responses, including yours and I am using Chord Music interconnects; I agree it is an overlooked part of feeding both sets of drivers. The issue I have here though is how should they be connected - is it to treble, to bass, to both??

People may say try and see, but I know one’s ear normalises the sound appreciation and direct A/B comparisons are a fools errand due to our brains innate equilibration (like putting one finger in cold and one in warm, the brain converges its perception so they both feel the same temperature).

Any advice given is always appreciated!

Jon

1 Like

@JonP

Quick question.

Why do you have , what looks like, a ferrite core on your old speaker cable?

DG…

You are observant, DG!

I heard off British Audiophile YouTube person that it improves sound quality for pennies.

Delusion or truth - please advise!

Jon

No idea. You’re doing it, not me.

Did it make an improvement?

Only you can tell.

DG…

2 Likes

@Mike_S started an interesting thread about jumper positioning…could help:

Can’t seem to link to it but just search ‘jumpers’ - should come up near the top.

1 Like

Here’s a post from a while ago which has a fairly logical and sensible recommendation for wiring speaker cable and jumpers diagonally:

Mark

3 Likes

This post reminded me I’d never tried option 3 (cross wired).

Not wanting to blow up a 300DR and SFs, I have just made the change in our office - a SuperUniti into Monitor Audio floorstanders. This is a system I know the voicing of really well, listening to it most days whilst working.

AMs are for TalkSport, and SWMBO is WFH today too, so it will be a few days before I can form an opinion on whether cross wiring changes the voicing here.

Of course the speakers in the lounge are from a different manufacturer, and the amp is different, so this result will have no relevance to the main system. But interesting none the less.

1 Like

In my system B&W 805 d3s,HDX,XPS dr,nDAC,282,SC non-dr with first a 250-2 non-dr and now a 300dr after adding SLSC’s & SL jumpers I just found the additional improvements in detail, clarity, transparency & soundstage all just too alluring to go back to the original A5’s which up until then I felt was crazy good ! And after adding the loom of SLICs they added small welcomed improvements. As good as the A5 are & as much as I enjoyed them I just could not go back.

That 552 will take at least 3 months…to come on song and around 6 months to be fully bedded in - in my humble opinion. It has a humping great PSU…

1 Like

After reading your comment regarding the WH Spectre, I re-visited the WH site to look at the Spectre (which I have been sitting on the fence about buying). I then saw this message in a banner on top of the loudspeaker cables page):

After nine years, we are absolutely devastated to say that WITCH HAT has had to close its doors and cease trading. We’ve loved working with all of you and thank each and every one of you for the support you have shown us during this time. Insolvency Practitioners are being appointed and will advise on all next steps. Our goal is for everyone to get their amps back and for no one to be left out of pocket. We will do everything possible to ensure this happens!

I guessthe Spectre is no longer an option for me…

Yes, barring a Phoenix rising from the ashes (and after this debacle, would it still fly?) Spectre is a dead duck, sadly.

However, I appreciate that, although monetarily at loss, I can continue to enjoy what Super Lumina brings to my music-listening pleasure. Done chasing rainbows.

Chord Music as another SL contender is way above my means, thankfully. My speaker cable ‘upgrade trail’ is over, and I’m kinda relieved in a perverse way.

1 Like

There are lots of threads on cables.

Almost all of us regard A5 as great VFM and a ‘never wrong’ choice, like Nam standard interconnects. Most people who have tried SL speaker cable or interconnects seem equally happy - except with the price of course.

WH made some very good cables imho, but they were never the only non-Naim choice. For speaker cables, Tellurium Q and Kudus are well-liked by many. However, not many seem to give up SL once they try them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.