Concerts you remember / Concerts you wish you had attended

That’s an impressive list, if I had to pick a couple it would be Die Walkure and er Dolly Parton

best wishes

Ian

One of the best concerts also was Frankie Valli and the four seasons in Sheffield.
The band started with the intro to Silver Star and wound it up until the atmosphere was electric before he started the vocals from off stage.

Also one of my worst memories because I had booked to see them at the Sheffield Fiesta nightclub , It went bust and never got my money back!!!

1 Like

It can be concerts you remember , and this sounds one to remember for the wrong reason … and the description of the Glitter concert was pretty appalling .

Hoping you are well?

best wishes

Ian

My first concert at 15/16 was Lindisfarne at Reading University , booked to see the next month, if my thoroughly knackered knee permits

Eric Clapton at the Southampton Gaumont in 1978. My second ever concert, so memorable.

The support band was Muddy Waters. As cocky 18 year olds we had never heard of him. Though he was a local band from the New Forest !

1 Like

Fine, thank you, Ian.

Recent, but both memorable.

I’m still enjoying recalling the sheer joy of The Flaming Lips at The Troxy last year and finally seeing a longtime love, Siouxsie, at the same venue…

The Lips were something else.
And I’m not ashamed to say I’d kiss Siouxsie’s hem.

I wish I’d kept a list of the various concerts I’ve been to over the years. I saw Fleetwood Mac at Wembley once but can’t remember when. I’ve seen operas at the Met in New York and La Scala Milan but can’t remember what they were. I certainly enjoyed them at the time.

Metallica Etihad 2019 from the snake pit

You’re right, I never watched Jimmy Savile. He had a penchant for sitting children on his knee, and his creepy quality came over the airwaves loud and clear!

Of course, I didn’t realise the extent of his depravity (interfering with corpses in the hospital mortuary in Leeds or wherever), but he was very obviously totally depraved. The BBC knew of it, but kept that knowledge under wraps for years!

1 Like

Didn’t we all watch it. But no idea of the scale of his behaviour

Yes think that’s pretty universal I’m often reminded that I’ve attended something that I have no real memory of. Of course there were no iPhones to take 1000s of photos as well.

2 Likes

Always wanted to see LZ and never did.
But inline with @BobF … I saw Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee at Massey Hall in Toronto in the early seventies. Probably the same tour.

Also saw Alice Cooper and Cheap Trick at a very small venue in Toronto, maybe 500, about 10 years ago with my youngest daughter. Our ears were useless for about an hour after we got out.
And Strawbs, 5 years back, 150 old guys was the entire audience.

Oh yeah, and CSNY with Santana at Buffalo stadium in '72. That was an Orange Sunshine concert so only remember so much.

1 Like

@Mike_S think I was that Robert Plant tour at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, I’ll alway remember the first best was so loud it went through my breast plate bone. Excellent gig.

1 Like

Brilliant unsung hero work - I can tick off a few in 76-78.
Marquee gig list

I was at that concert. I have tickets (and the associated coach tickets!) for the the Firm at the NEC as well as the Hammersmith Odeon. Here’s the programme.

Although I have two Firm albums as well as the Radioactive 12” single, I don’t recall the concerts being that good. Maybe I was expecting Zeppelin Mk 2, but although Paul Rodgers was on form, I reckon Page was still having issues with substance abuse and his playing was lazier than usual.

2 Likes

1972 rock festival in a rainy Lincolnshire…my original programme survived the rain. It was my first festival experience at 15! Experience with a capital E !

1 Like

A Proms concert I wish I’d attended was Mstislav Rostropovich playing the Dvorak Cello Concerto in the Royal Albert Hall on the day Soviet tanks rolled into Prague to suppress the Prague Spring. Apparently he loved the city and had tears streaming down his face throughout the performance.

An event like that would surely have seared itself into one’s memory.

Roger

1 Tina Turner- Simply the Best Tour , Lignano Sabbiadoro
2 Pink Floyd - Venezia

As some others have mentioned, I never saw LZ, but I did see Robert Plante in Toronto. Excellent center seats, ten rows back.
Not the same tho … sigh …