Concord is back! Vive la France!

I was not a BAE employee , I was an external consultant working on the design and commissioning of a new R&D facility.

Interesting place, we used to wander through various departments including Rolls Royce Engines on the way to the tea/coffee machine! No one ever questioned us.

A bit ā€œmodernā€ then, :smiley: . Iā€™ve always been ā€œMarconi Spaceā€ via many name changes to Airbus Def. & Space.

Edit: looks like Iā€™ve managed to delete a postā€¦ā€¦old age & stupidity. To anyone reading this thread Iā€™d asked Roog whether he was a BAC chap (British Aircraft Corporation)

1 Like

You have seen this little Concorde at Heathrow? Itā€™s that?

Yes, you are right. I didnā€™t knew, before posting, that it was a common work. Discovered with that thread, after first Gazza post.

1 Like

I wonder why they didnā€™t built together ( french and brits) a Concorde 2. Could have been a success. But apparently the Concorde was very expensive to maintain, if I remember well.

I think the next ā€œconcordā€ was the Airbusā€¦

Nope, seen the real ones. Compared to the big wide-bodies, Concordes were small - but still the most beautiful airplane, bar none!

1 Like

Too expensive to keep running and the ā€˜mericans wouldnā€™t let it land in their cities, ā€˜cos they didnā€™t have one first. :grinning:

4 Likes

Having been brought up in Bristol we had got used to seeing early prototype Concord flying about. BAC and Rolls Royce were the two places to aspire to get an apprenticeship on leaving school. Many of my friends went this route.

I did get a sponsored place a uni with BAE, but ultimately went with an offer from a ā€˜regularā€™ industrial manufacturer which stood me in good stead.

1 Like

Right on!!!

cough

Fabulous aircraft, we used to live in London and it was a thrill to see it flying in and out of Heathrow. Always new it was Concorde, louder and distinct sound. Last time we saw it was at JFK, we were flying out in something much more ordinary.

My wife chanced to see one of its last flights. She was in Edinburgh for an IT Directorsā€™ Conference, and as luck would have it was up on the castle walls when it flew pastā€¦ā€¦lucky, lucky ****************!

I also remember seeing Concorde on its last flight into Filton (2003 I think) from the vantage point of Brandon Hill in Bristol. I worked very nearby at the time.

Lived on the edge of Reading for a while. Twice daily overhead 7:30 ish am and 16:00 ish pm I think. Distinctive, loud, and impressive. Lovely thing. I was booked on an out and back Iceland flight but I cancelled due to a work emergency. A couple of months the crash happened and that was my chance gone. I did get a nice wall poster as compensation and money back but not quiet the same.

Bleeding noisy thing mind, working in Reading in the 90ā€™s we would halt our site meetings until it passed over! Everyday at 11am I think.

Blimey! Where do you even start with that?

My wife used to say the same thing - she was working at DEC at that time.

You wander outside and marvel at the ā€œtriumph of engineering over common senseā€!

Wow, small world. DEC was the reason I went to Reading, first out at Winnersh, then DEC park.