Connect Hicap DR to SN3 and a Superline?

I just purchased a Superline so I could start my upgrade path with my TT source.

A couple of questions came to mind:

Out of curiosity, is it possible to connect one HiCap DR to a Superline and my Supernait 3?

Would the SN3 Aux 2 gain benefit from the HiCap DR passively through the amp anyways?

I know it’s ideal for the Superline to have it’s own HiCap DR/SuperCap DR PSU outside of being plugged into Aux 2 in the SN3, but I was curious about the extra sockets back there.

Thank you for any info.

If your main source is the turntable I think best practice is giving the Superline it’s own HiCap DR.

I first had a Supernait 2 with a bare Superline on aux. After getting a Hicap DR to the Superline I didn’t bother to compare with the Hicap on the Supernait pre amp. It was obvious the Superline liked the Hicap very much. :blush:

Later I put another Hicap DR on the preamp part of the Supernait 2 and it was great as well.

In short, two Hicap DR is great. One, I thought it had its place on the Superline, but this might be different depending on how much you play the turntable.

I still look for an opportunity to add a supercap to the Superline in the future.

Regards

3 Likes

Similar experience Porphyr

First hicap into SN3 - improvement

Second hicap into superline - very good

Icing on the cake - supercap into superline - sensational

The Hicap can’t power both unfortunately. Only the Flatcap.

My experience in this comes from a 282 and 552 rather than a supernait. I found using AUX to power a superline gives the most coherence to the music but at the expense of more overt detail compared to using a hicap or supercap via a Snaic to power it directly. The one thing that trumps it and by quite some margin is a supercap via a Burndy.
Try both but certainly don’t ignore AUX power with the hicap powering the supernait as an option.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m definitely taking the baby step approach.

I will try adding another HiCap DR to the mix once I get used to the new Superline and MC cartridge.

I’d like to upgrade the TT eventually as well, obviously.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.