Connecting 252 to Focal Arche

Hi guys,
I’m trying to connect my 252 to Focal Arche Headphone ampli.
I bought a naim hi line din5 to 2RCA connecting it to tape out of 252 and with my great surprise, it doesn’t work (din on 252 tape out and rca on arche).

I then tried to use a custom made 5din to 2RCA cable on the same out and it work.

So I was thinking it was the naim hi line cable having some defect but
I tried to directly connect my NDX2 to the focal arche using the HI LINE cable (din on NDX2 and RCA on arche) and it do work perfectly.

Am I doing something wrong?

In my NDX2 / 252 set up, I use the RCA outputs on the NDX2 to my headphone amp and switch outputs in the app when using headphones.

I ran into similar problems with my 252. Pin configuration on the DIN - RCA lead is the issue, see Mr Dane’s explanation below:

Connecting RCA - RCA from NDS to headphone amp and switching inputs works fine. Is there any sonic advantage here to keeping the 252 in the signal path?

So, you mean that I need a custom cable to connect 252 to the headphone ampli.
Using RCA-RCA from Ndx2 is fine but I can’t listen to my record player

It’s all in the forum FAQ;

1 Like

“Note also that some Naim devices, such as the NAC-N272 Network Pre-amp, offer a LINE OUT on RCA Phono, and here you can connect to a non-Naim RCA Phono-equipped Headphone amplifier using a standard RCA Phono interconnect.”

So is the RCA phono analogue out on NDS / NDX2 etc. officially approved for connecting a non-Naim headphone amp, or is there a reason to connect via the pre-amp instead?

As per the FAQ, you can connect directly from a particular source. Only drawback here is that you’ll only be able to use the headphone amp from that source, whereas connection via the pre-amp will allow you to use it for any source.

1 Like

Thanks Richard.
Is there an original Naim cable like the 5Din-4RCA one or do I have to buy it custom made?

Yes, Naim do one, see the FAQ here on interconnect ID.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.