Connecting a Windows desktop to SuperUniti

I’ve recently replaced my elderly MacBook Pro with a Dell Windows 10 desktop, so have lost the optical out on the MacBook. Can anybody recommend an easy, not too expensive way to connect the Dell to the SU? I’ve been using Audirvana and JRiver on the MacBook, but will probably stick to JRiver on Windows for the moment.

Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends on what you want to play from the computer. Locally stored music (just run a UPnP server and the SU will find it) or web streaming sources?
You might consider a USB to SPDIF converter if you want to continue using a direct connection.

Thanks, both really. I’ve got the UPnP connection with JRiver working now for music stored on my computer. But might look for a USB to SPDIF for streaming from music services on the web, Qobuz for the moment.

Another approach is to use a USB DAC with the computer and connect the output to the SuperUniti via analogue.

Although you are bypassing the Naim DAC like that, you can buy one of the excellent Dragonfly DACs for little money and it’s all just plug and play. I have a Dragonfly Red which is great, but they do an even better one now “cobalt” I think.

Best

David

Thanks David, one of the Dragonfly DACs looks a good option - what cable do you use to connect it to the SU?

Chris

I just use a random cable of no special sort. I’m not a great believer in pricy interconnects! It’s only short anyway.

Best

David

Naim used to make a suitable 3.5mm to DIN lead back when it was popular to use the headphone socket of an iPhone. Flashback make a reasonably priced one.

Thanks both, this looks like the way to go.

I decided on a Dragonfly Red because of the price difference, plus a Flashback cable. I must say that I’m delighted with the sound - I’m not sure that it’s not better than the optical out of the MacBook, certainly a lovely sound for high res classical music. My SuperUniti lives to for another 20 years or so. Thanks again for the recommendation.

2 Likes

I also have a Superuniti, and it is a USB Dac, isn’t it? It certainly has a USB input, and I thot it went thru the Dac.
Also, I’m very impressed with sound of the Dac in the SU. I have a Linn Unidisk 1.1 reference level CDP, and the Linn Dac is only slightly better than the SU Dac. I’m looking forward to upgrading to the NDX2 at some point because of this.
Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out how to get Tidal to play hires thru the Naim App. I really don’t want to involve my computer(s).
A lot of people seem to be having the same streaming issues when they/me are trying to stay within an equipment/monthly charge, budget.
Just some thots.
Cheers.

Dave

The SU does have a USB input, but this was intended to work with an iPod/iPhone originally, but does also work with many USB sticks and some USB HDDs.

During the BBC FLAC trial on R3 a couple of years ago, I and a friend separately tried everything we could to use this USB input to connect to a PC and take the FLAC feed into the SuperUniti (in my friend’s case it was into an NDX). Neither of us could make it work.

I twice posted in the Naim forum asking if anyone had ever managed to do this and got responses but none that helped solve the problem. The Dragonfly DAC solved the problem for me and the Dragonfly Red certainly stands up to scrutiny against the SU’s DAC (which incidentally is indeed itself the full Naim deal and not cut down like the other legacy Unitis).

So if you do get it going please post here because I will be very interested.

Best

David

1 Like

The only fully fledged USB DAC that Naim made is the V1. Others have only limited functionality via the USB input, as Naim prefer to concentrate on either network or SPDIF connections for best sound quality.
Naim do not currently support MQA. If you want to try HiRes formats, there are some workaround solutions to add it via Roon or BubbleUPnP server. If you intend to upgrade to an NDX2, I would suggest that you wait until you have it, and try Qobuz.

1 Like

It’s interesting to hear about your experimentation with the USB input, David. After a week listening to Qobuz HiRes files I’m still very happy with the Dragonfly Red. A bonus was a 60 day trial of Roon from Audioquest, plenty of time to explore.

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks for the info, that saves me a lot of time. If I do manage to learn anything new regarding this, I’ll certainly post it.
Cheers.

Dave

Yes, it sounds like the NDX2 plan is the way to go. Part of that plan is also getting a Supernait 2 or 3, so it won’t be immediate as this will be a substantial purchase. (But very worth it).
And maybe by then, Qobuz will be available in Canada. Damn CRTC. (Canadian Radio and Television Corp)
Thanks for your help.

Dave

I was sharing my enthusiasm for the Dragonfly Red with a friend, who has a mix of high end audio. He agreed about the Dragonfly’s sound quality and said that he’d bought one on the recommendation of Peter Craven - a friend of his and one of the two MQA inventors, as I’m sure you all know. An interesting endorsement to have.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.