Connecting two Naim Integrated Amplifiers (SN2 and XS2)

Hi to all,

For multiple reasons I have connected SN2 (pre-amp) and XS2 (as power-amp) amps with RCA cable. I wonder if there is another (better) way of connecting these two amps in this configuration ? I also have HiCapDR if that helps …

Hope somebody can help ?

You say for multiple reasons, but now I’m curious why you would like to do that …

2 Likes

:slight_smile: , I knew this question is coming. First reason is the bad mains in my flat (old building) , so SN2’s power - amp is producing both hiss and radio frequency noise on the right channel. I have no such problem with XS2. Second is that for the room where this system is located, SN2 is just too much power (I have a bass problem even though I have some bass traps). Third reason is subjective ; simple speaker - amp matching …

Hope you can help me ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the SN2 presents so many issues, why not just use the XS2 with your Hicap to optimise its preamp. It sounds a far easier way.

Have you had you SN2 checked with a dealer? I don’t think this behaviour is normal … will have a look at the manuals which are available online but there must be a Snaic 4 or 5 that will fit between these two …

Maybe others might step in :slight_smile:

Hello,

Sure, I have tried, but still prefer sound of SN2 as Pre-amp … I agree that it is easier and it will probably end up that way , selling SN2 and staying with hc and xs2 …

It is the mains, I took sn2 to my friend’s place and it was normal … also I forgot to mention that internet connection is quite close to the amp which might explain radio frequency … and yes there must be the some snaic connection but nothing in manual of course …

Try to post a picture of your connecting here. It can help.

Will do when I come home, meanwhile I found this pdf ‘Connection Guide Amplification Rev 1J’, seems that all power-amp inputs (xs, sn, nap) are 4 pin, which basically means that it has to go via PSU (HC in my case) or snaic 5 pin to 4 pin (if exists) … will contact contact my dealer as this is getting complicated …

Thx everybody for participation in discussion …

You can choose; either connect the two amps together or go via a HiCap - in this last situation, the HiCap can power the preamp section of the SuperNait 2 …

1 Like

will try, thx once again …

A bit of a strange setup, but you can do it two ways as others have suggested as follows -

SN2 to XS2.
Keep the SN2 link plug in place and remove the link plug on the XS2. Connect a SNAIC4 cable between the Bi-amp out socket on the SN2 to the Power amp in socket on the XS2. Set the XS2 into power amp mode.

SN2 to XS2 via Hicap.
Remove the SN2 link plug and remove the link plug on the XS2. Connect a SNAIC5 between the SN2 Preamp out socket and the Hicap socket 4. Connect the Hicap socket 3 to the Power amp in socket on the XS2 via a SNAIC4. Set the XS2 into power amp mode.

Power amp mode - When an external preamplifier is connected to the Nait XS 2 power-amp in socket, a fault will initially be indicated by the Nait XS 2 mute button flashing. To clear the fault, press and hold the flashing mute button. This will un-mute the amplifier and turn off the display and volume indicator.

Thank you James, it seems that connection corresponds to a connection of the NAPs with the difference of some work around XS2 (mute button). Will try in the next couple of days …

Thank you all, I know it is a bit strange setup but my listening room got smaller and SN2 power seems to be too much for it (I will be using Focal 906 which are relatively sensitive so quite quickly the room potential is reached). However I wanted to keep SN2 as a pre-amp as it really brings improvements (even over RCA connection with XS2).

Once again , pleasure to discuss with you all … take care …

It has been mentioned before, but I think it is really an option to move the SN2 on and only use the XS2 with the HiCap connected …

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.