Connectivity

No I don’t have one. But the router is in another room to the muso so it’s not really practical.
Thankyou!! Guy

It wouldn’t have to be forever, just temporary, and it would help rule out some causes.

Wifi extenders are the work of the devil, some work better than most but it is seemingly random if a particular device will develop issues with s particular extender. Use a proper mesh network to solve wifi coverage problems. See the many existing threads, search for mesh

I’ll consider the Ethernet cables - though I know nothing about it.

So here’s today’s sequence:

1. Tidal via AirPlay did not work
  2. Direct from the NAIM app did work
  3. tidal via AIRPlay DOES now work.
  4. Tidal via BlueTooth does not work
  5. Tidal via AirPlay has stopped abruptly and now does not work
  6. Tidal via Naim app has now also failed

I think the next step might be to ditch the TP-Link - quite possibly the devils work! And given I can play Netflix fine without it, princely unnecessary.

If that fails, I’ll do something with the Ethernet cables. Though I’m not quite sure what.

Thanks for your patience. This is a fascinating feed for everyone I’m sure!! :slight_smile:
Guy

I had similar issues with my ND5 XS2 all the time I was using TP-Link wifi extenders. Constant drop-outs and the Naim app regularly failing to find the streamer. All the time this was going on Netflix/Amazon Prime Video on 2 Fire TV sticks was working absolutely fine. I got rid of the TP-Link extenders and replaced with a BT Whole Home wifi mesh solution and since then the Naim app and ND5 XS2 have been rock solid.

Ok so I’ve removed the TP link now. I tried several times to set up. But got these error messages. It’s attempting to play music on the Naim app but keeps cutting out.

Airplay not working at all. Blue tooth not working.

Naim support showed brief interest above. But they never replied to my email.

So is an Ethernet cables the next step?

There is clearly an issue of some sort with your wifi and the Muso not receiving a good, stable signal.
An ethernet cable will no doubt solve the connectivity issue but, implementing a good, stable wifi setup should make it work properly too.
Wifi is often problematic, not only with Naim but a friend has recently had a nightmare with his Sonos kit.
He installed a Google Mesh wifi setup and his wifi problems are now a thing of the past.
Naim technical support are usually good at responding to issues.

Ethernet is not really a long term solution as the router is two rooms away. Someone suggested it might help me diagnose the problem?

I don’t understand why the WiFi is fine for Netflix etc in this room, but just doesn’t work for the Miso Cube.

How can I get NAIM support onto this thread?

Thanks!!

I suppose Google mesh is worth considering. But it seems expensive at £150 after I’ve already spent £750 on the cube!

1 Like

Can you move the cube in to the same room as the router temporarily so that it gets a good Wi-Fi signal? If it then works OK you know what the problem is.

You can contact Naim tech support on support@naimaudio.com. Or else call them on;

T: +44 (0) 1722 443405

Hours of service are Mon-Fri 9:30am-5:30pm GMT/BST

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)? How old is the router they supplied? Any wireless router over 3-years old should be replaced, as in my experience the radios start to fail after this time and security updates are unlikely.

Move the Mu-So next to the router and connect using Ethernet. Cycle the power on the router.
Delete the Naim App and factory reset the Mu-So. Instal the Naim App and set up again. Ensure you acknowledge the pop-ups that appear after running the Naim App to allow network Access. Update the Mu-So firmware if available.

If all works correctly then consider moving the Mu-So back and set it up again using Wi-Fi.

It’s EE. The router is less than a year old I think.

Today it’s working on AirPlay, but not working on Blue Tooth or the Naim App.

I’ll try it nearer the route tomorrow. But I’m still baffled why Netflix etc is working fine. Does music need more bandwidth than TV?

Big thanks!! Guy

Thanks Richard. I’ll try the number. They didn’t reply to the email.

Boxing Day trial in preferred sitting room location with no TP link booster:

1. Air play fail
  2. Blue tooth fail
  3. Naim app fail

Boxing Day trial by the router:

1. AirPlay worked
  2. Blue Tooth failed
  3. Naim app worked

Seems the problem is all about poor broadband speed in sitting room. Does the cube need much more strength than TV and Lap Top?

Seems like the problem is more a poor wifi signal in the listening room. You have tried to get round that with a wifi extender but Naim products don’t seem to like wifi extenders much as they appear to cause problems with device discovery. I think a good mesh wifi system will fix things for you. Music streaming certainly doesn’t need more bandwidth than streaming video from Netflix etc but perhaps the devices used for streaming video are less fussy about what else is going on on the network. All I can say is that from personal experience I had no end of problems with my ND5 XS2 all the time I had wifi over mains TP Link extenders, the moment I got rid of them and replaced them with a mesh wifi system the streamer and app have been rock solid. I had no problems with Netflix/Amazon Prime with the TP Link in place, the only device that gave problems was the Naim.

Thanks Elver
I think you’re right. So the latest test:

Moved router to a higher position and moved the Naim cube nearer the corridor:

1. AirPlay failed
  2. Blue Tooth failed
  3. Naim app worked
  4. Air play now works
  5. Blue tooth still failed

Remember that the operating range for Bluetooth is only about 10m, less if there are walls involved

The Naim devices use WiFi in a low power configuration. The reason for this is to improve audio quality.

However, this does leave them more susceptible to interference on the 2.4GHz band.

Another observation is that you are not only having problems with WiFi but also with BT and Airplay… The only things these have in common with WiFi is that they share the 2.4GHz raidio band; this suggestes the possibility of interference on the 2.4GHz radio band. If this is so, then it could also reduce the effective range BT and Airplay very substantially, maybe to 3m or even less.