Contemporary music is depressing?

In shallow graves, or deep underground?:smirk:

(I assume you meant buying!)

2 Likes

Our choices were easier because we had a Top 40 that everyone my age could relate to. Even though today we have easy access to music, without a Top 40 it makes discovering new music harder and also a Top 40 would not do justice to the sheer amount of music available today. It became redundant as soon as radio stations would play a song six weeks in advance of the release date, and record companies would have several versions of the CD single hence why everything went straight to no.1.

1 Like

Yes, buying new albums and burying the crap ones inside a 10 meters deep hole in the ground .
:grin:

I never trust any top 40 or top 100 or any top charts. It doesn’t interest me. Be it Rolling Stones ranks or Jazz Wise.
But it’s me.

1 Like

Hasn’t that always been the case, good art (be it books music or whatever) is always there you just need to wade through the crap.

Re the top 40 it’s only what’s popular not what’s good. We’ve all got great albums that probably never even popped up in the top 40.

1 Like

I used to listen to Jazz 70-80% of the time, now I listen at best 20% of the time. I’ve pretty much reached the bottom of the well of old stuff that I had never heard of and most of the new stuff, with the rare exception, just annoys me. Most of the stuff coming out on ECM or ACT is mostly unimaginative and repetitive. I’m thrilled when I find a jazz album with 2-3 good tracks on it.
The good side is that this has forced me to look towards other genres to feed my music addiction.
My Friday morning ritual is flipping through Twittering Machine’s ‘‘NewMusicFriday’’ while having a coffee hoping to discover some new and interesting recordings. Unfortunately they’re becoming fewer and farther apart.

2 Likes

I was not thinking to look at twittering machine music Friday choices. Will try. I spend every week about 2 hours to search and find some interesting albums. Hardly find something on Qobuz or ITunes, but it happens. Most findings on Bandcamp. I am searching by new arrivals or best sales in different genres, as jazz, blues, funk, soul, or pop rock. I select then the albums on wish list, then listen to them through the Bandcamp app.
For lps I search through YouTube.

As you said, “ you have to wade through the crap “, however the crap is bigger and bigger each year . In french language, we call it “ la chasse au trésor “.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.