Continuing problems with my Nova

If you look at my profile you’ll see what hifi I currently have. My Atom, replacing a UnitiQute2, was purchased 15 months ago. It is used for 2-3 hours every day, and I have experienced no problems with reliability or SQ (all upgrades have been applied).

We will have to agree to differ in respect of your claims that the new Uniti range is somehow tainted across the board. You appear to belong to that group often described as ‘hi-fi fanatics’ who seem to believe they have insights not granted to us mere mortals.

If you feel that strongly about the Uniti issue, why don’t you simply sell your Atom and move on to another brand, leaving the rest of us to enjoy our systems?

By the way, if 50 Ford Mondeos suffer the same (non critical) fault, yet 500,000 don’t, does a failure rate of 0.01% render the model problematic? No, I didn’t think so. You’re letting your frustrations run away with you. Sell up and move on.

1 Like

You should address this reply to all members who are not happy with Unitis, and not only to me. And you’ve just hurt big amount of users, saying that they are “‘hi-fi fanatics’ who seem to believe they have insights not granted to us mere mortals”. It is more likely that you described yourself.

And it seems that you are not familiar with discussed Uniti problems at all. So I’m not going to discuss about it to you anymore.

Please, read all information in related posts (about Unitis) and then we will be able to discuss the problem to each other in more respective way .

I run a pair of Neat SX1’s and PMC Twenty5 23’s in addition I have an Innuos Zen server. I wouldn’t say I play music at a particularly high volume, usually between 30-35.
There will always an element of system synergy in terms of matching speakers and amps etc and what works for some doesn’t work for others.
I hope that you and others who are experiencing problems get it resolved as soon as possible.

By the way, it is not so easy to sell and buy new audio system in some countries, considering, that salaries in some counters are ~350-400 Eur/month. It is easy to judge when you have a lot of money. Some people believed in Naim and gave them all the money they managed to save during 2-3 year period. Just imagine… And the frustration becomes very justified, taking into account that Naim do not solve these problems. Selling Atom and buying new system is very complicated task in such countries, becouse of extremaly small salaries.

1 Like

Where all RMA

In Germany is very easy to sell expensive hifi equipment. After 8 years you will get min. 40 % of the payed price. The market in general is quite different to other countries that I know.

1 Like

I play music all day long on 10-15 as background. I have Focal Arias 926. Maximum volume is set to 100.

When listening more seriously I use 25-30. If music is not compressed more volume is needed. But 40 I consider as the maximum volume for compressed music. It is becoming uncomfortably loud if pushed more.

The fact that yours is fine since day one actually quite an indicator that there is possibly something wrong with something somewhere:-) either with the product or user expectations or both.

I think there is also a moral problem. I do not know about you but I would not dare to put for sale something I know it is not functioning as expected.

1 Like

Exactly

I agree that it would be wrong to put something that is not functioning correctly up for sale but surely if this is the case the unit should be returned to the dealer for repair/replacement.

Well…then read other person comment saying that they are on 5th unit. A replacement of the unit may not be enough.

I have been following the thread, I guess it would be the customers call to say enough is enough give me a refund as I have no confidence in this product anymore.

I have a Nova in my second system driving my old SBLs and it’s absolutely fine.

If I had a problem I wouldn’t be whinging on here but would be straight back to my dealer never mind worrying about morality.

1 Like

From my own experience, it could be hard to reproduce the problems in dealer’s shop. I don’t know maybe it is easy to to in Ted’s situation. If dealer does not have given instructions how to reproduce error, most likely he will not find the errors and will say that unit is ok (not faulty).

Considering Unitis sound quality (which many people complained about) it is even more difficult to prove. It is not possible to measure sound quality. So it can be very subjective. Most likely dealer and Naim will say, that everything is ok with sound quality, what do you want from us? Ok, we can give you new unit, but this is “good will”. But to get refund in such situations could be impossible, because it is impossible to prove the existence of the problem. My Atom was checked 2 times in dealers shop and one time in Naim’s factory (Salisbury). The conclusions were always the same - everything is Ok with my unit. I also asked for refund. They said, why we should give you the refund, if your unit is ok?

Also I spoke to my lawyer. And he said that it would be impossible to get refund it the problem is associated with software (not hardware). The problem should be related strictly to hardware to get the refund. Otherwise it would be extremely hard or impossible to get money back.

Ted, I think you should bring your unit to dealer’s shop and ask for new unit, no matter if the problems are reproducible or not. I think it would be unfair if such high quality unit will be fixed at local dealer’s shop. No matter how good your dealer is, but his repair room will never match Naim’s factory. Once I had even more problems with my Harman/Kardon amplifier when it was “repaired” in local dealer’s shop…

1 Like

Hi

Just had a phone call from my dealer, he confirmed that a brand new NOVA is on its way.

The question now is do I keep the NOVA or sell it on and choose something else from Naim, say NAIT XS 2 and ND5 XS 2 or maybe SUPERNAIT 2 and a dac. I will be in hospital next week so will not get the NOVA until the second of July, so that gives me some time to make my decision. I will keep the forum updated what decision I make.

Edward

3 Likes

Hi, just had a phone call from my dealer, my replacement Nova has arrived. I will be in Glasgow later this afternoon and will collect on my way home, cannot wait to get it home and start listening to my music again.

Edward

1 Like

Enjoy the music Edward, I hope the hospital visit went well.

A few months ago, I purchased a Naim Uniti Star. I was lucky as the Star arrived with a defective non-working RCA output. The Star should be a great product, but it had many frustrating bugs. I too experienced varying sound quality, some days the Star sounded very harsh, other days, it was smoother. The Star would also corrupt any external drive that I used as a music library. I contacted the audio dealer, and he suspected user error. I brought it in for him to have a look, and he replicated every problem I experienced with the drive. We even tried different drives to make sure it wasn’t the drive itself. I didn’t address the varying sound quality issue with dealer, as I thought it would be considered too subjective. He had no solution for the external drive issue. We spent hours trying to get to a solution. My way out was the defective RCA output. I asked for and received a refund based on a hardware defect, as I only owned the product for a few weeks. My original gear already sold, I wasn’t able to go back to my previous system. That’s OK though, I’m moving forward. I know Naim has a great reputation and their products do sound great. The Star however was not a reliable product for me, hardware and software. I’m sorry to see that so many people are experiencing problems and I only hope it improves as I know how it feels to be on that end.

2 Likes

Hi

All went well, and I didn’t have to stay in hospital, awaiting more tests.

Than you for your kind words.

Edward

2 Likes