Convert Mp3 to FLAC

Hello. I have a hard disc that was filled with mp3 as my backup when I used to rip CD to mp3 for playing on iPod many years ago. Maybe 13 years. But I did update harddisc 5 years ago. I want to convert these files to high res audio for local streaming on my Innuos Zen so I don’t have to rip all my old CDs again! Is there any way to do this please? Thank you. Jamu

It is kind of a pointless exercise as MP3 lacks the information needed to make a hi res copy. Unless you are only after it being the FLAC format as a goal. But the result will not be hi-res or lossless.

4 Likes

Yes don’t do this, it will not improve the quality and will only cost you a lot of extra diskspace.

1 Like

MP3 is lossy, so you can’t get back what has been lost in the data compression process.

If you do rip your CDs again (well worth its, IMHO) then stick to their native bit rate; 16bit 44.1Mhz in either WAV or a lossless compression codec such as FLAC or ALAC.

4 Likes

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Your Innuos should make re-ripping CDs relatively painless. Still, if it all sounds like too much hassle, a Qobuz or Tidal subscription might give you all your old music, and a whole lot more.

Thank you Chris. Actually I do have Tidal and also I have Quboz. But I hear that local streaming is much superior to streaming from streaming online service. Would you say this character is correct or has a base of correct?

Richard means 44.1 kHz 16 bit of course :grinning:

1 Like

Well actually I was to ask @Richard.Dane if he mean that ripping well worth it over and above what is offered from streaming or over mp3

In some systems, particularly with 1st gen. Naim streamers, Tidal lossless sounded OK, but a clear step behind local streams. With native Qobuz I find the sound quality much the same, and with the 24 bit material they now have available, probably better in most cases than a locally streamed CD rip.

1 Like

Thank you for this. It is interesting, because I start looking in deep at making cd collection local because of up and down internet. But since my first post I look at what internet required for lossless and it is really not too high mbps. I thought would be higher

Edit - because I am thinking local store music require no internet in case or poor connect

lol! Yes, not sure we’re quite at 44.1mHz yet!

2 Likes

I think that if you have the CDs then it’s well worth ripping them properly.

I don’t use any streaming services at home (not really possible, and I mainly spin vinyl anyway) but I do make a point of trying music I’m familiar with when I do get to use streaming services elsewhere for demos etc… and while it’s sometimes very good, on tracks I’m very familiar with it’s noticeably behind what I know I get off the Disc or from the disc ripped into my Core and played back via the Naim DAC at home. That may be down to a different mastering or source though, so take that with a bit of a pinch of salt.

2 Likes

This is all very helpful and interesting. Thank you

Streaming from either Tidal or Qobuz is far superior to the mp3 versions.

From your initial post it seems that you have a lot of CDs.

Just enjoy Tidal and Qobuz as you have them until you have ripped your CDs again. The mp3s are no substitutes at all just because they are local.

Local vs internet streaming needs to be compared on equal quality source files.

Coming back as I just thought of something.

Rip a few of your favourite CDs again. Then on YOUR system compare them to the Tidal and Qobuz versions. Then decide whether it is worthwhile to do the rest.

Hearing (or not hearing) the difference for yourself is worth a thousand forum posts :wink:

4 Likes

Poor internet connections are, of course, a good reason to maintain a local collection. Line speed is not usually the issue for most, I can reliably stream lossless Tidal/Qobuz with a paltry 4.5MB connection, and even some 24 bit Qobuz as long as there isn’t too much other activity. Latency is more often the problem, and while this is often outside of your control, you should make sure that your home network is robust.

I cannot imagine how latency will affect sound streaming. Even on 4G this averages at 50ms. So that means 0.05 of a second delay for the round trip between request and response. Any amount of buffering in the streaming equipment should eliminate any effect.

It caused endless problems on the 1st gen. Naim streamers with Tidal due to their small buffer. Not so often a problem these days, but for most it’s more likely to cause issues than line speed.

1 Like

Ouch! Not something I’d have expected on equipment of this level. Thanks for the info.

Sit with 3ms unloaded and 14ms loaded ping this side so obviously not noticing any issues even if there any any.

But that said it is really not something a dedicated streamer should suffer from.