Cordless, bagless upright vacuum cleaners

Richard - I agree about the airo brush - we use it more than any other attachment - it’s fantastic! I simply don’t know why anyone buys anything else apart from a Henry - they’re so good and because you aren’t lumbering the whole machine mechanism with you they’re so light and easy to use in tight spaces.

J

We used a Henry when we were on holiday but find an upright much easier to push around, and it’s much better on carpets. The Sebo performs a lot better than a Henry overall, though of course the Henry is much more cute.

Just referring to the OP, he did ask for cordless and bagless so I guess many of the responses so far don’t fit their criteria.

1 Like

I agree that the dysons are a big bit of plastic, and I’m not sure I’m totally convinced - as we have kept our old Miele S4511. If you have got used to using a big cord and bag job it does take a learning curve to use it without breaking it.
Our V8 dyson is a cinch to use on the stairs, getting cobwebs from ceiling corners, getting bread crumbs. The odd bit here and there.
You can take it all apart to clean - great if you have used it to clear up something sticky or smelly.
Also looks like a giant fancy tonearm.

2 Likes

Indeed Ray. Part of the problem with the Miele we’ve got is not that it’s not a great hoover - it is. The issue is of size and weight. I’m fine with it, but others aren’t, and because there a lot of stairs where I live, we need something light and cordless.

But thank you everyone for your replies - you’ve given us a lot to think about!

I was half expecting you @TheKevster to say you have made so much dosh from the album sales you have employed a cleaner instead😉

2 Likes

Ha ha @Gazza - I wish! We are doing OK on sales but it was so (comparatively) expensive to make that it’ll be a long while yet before we make any money back…

Dyson cordless for us. We’ve had one of the early ones for ages & it works fine. Recently tried one of the latest versions, & it’s great - also a “Which?” Best Buy. We had a Dyson upright before a cylinder-type Miele which never let us down & we eventually donated to the local church. Didn’t get on with the Miele, too cumberson, and the handle broke.

I know , i used to haunt the Bridge house, Canning town ,the Ruskin Arms and many tracks were recorded, for better or worse. I think she will make it, top stuff.
Gaz

1 Like

I know i take my HAT off to you❤️

We sold our vacuum cleaner. Well, it was just gathering dust.

© Tim Vine (I think).

5 Likes

I ran with Miele for many years and still have one sitting in reserve/ anticipation of the Dyson V8 imploding! Strange thing for me is that with over two years clocked up, the Dyson continues to work faultlessly. My preconception was that it might fall to bits after reading many comments to this effect. This has not been my reality. The V8 is now history (ie no longer for sale) and presumably the V10 and V11 were provided with more durable/ higher capacity battery packs - using mine on high power means a very limited time before needing recharge.

If you are considering a Dyson, now is a good time to look at the V10 and V11 whilst they are still being sold alongside one another. I read that whilst the V11 has a better battery pack, some people may find the additional weight leads them to prefer the older lighter model.

If lightweight and ease of use are your main drivers, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Dyson - bought from John Lewis with extended cover, just in case!

Peter

1 Like

My old man bought a first generation dyson, I saw how that one fared and knew that I did not need a dyson in my life.

Yes but on the other hand if you have bought one of his many early-failing products, you can sneer at that pompous idiot James Dyson when he tries to tell everyone about British design and manufacture from his overseas Brexit-free base.

Anyway notwithstanding that, he has revolutionised the industry and the rest of the vacuum cleaner manufacturers have had to raise their game. (And I do still like my V10 a lot, but I don’t really expect it to work once the 2 year guarantee is finished)

Best

David

Our cleaning lady has often said that our (bagged and corded) Miele is the best vacuum cleaner she has used. She detests all Dysons. I have a small Dyson (bagless and cordless) used to clear up after a coffee roasting session and to clean out cars, but it is no more than acceptable, in terms of cleaning performance or battery life. I was seduced and deluded by the concept of the Dyson. Now I would not even contemplate buying a Dyson, I utterly loathe the man and all that he stands for.

[quote=“NAJB, post:36, topic:2661”]
Our cleaning lady has often said that our (bagged and corded) Miele is the best vacuum cleaner she has used. She detests all Dysons.
[/quote] Funnily enough, our cleaning lady says exactly the opposite! She hated our Miele with a passion, but loves our Dyson.

And another happy Henry Hoover fan here.
Purchased my Henry in 1992, he’s had a duck-tape rhinoplasty, and could do with a trunk transplant, but he’s still going strong and nothing ever stops him smiling : )

A year ago i bought a new Miele C3 ‘Cat & Dog Powerline’. It comes equipped with a ‘Turbo-head’ that thrashes the living daylights out of the Axminster, certainly gets it very clean of cat hair, poor old Henry can’t compete with that kind of performance, but i bet the Miele don’t come with decades of smiling longevity.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:We bought our Miele 1991.
It works as if it were new.

The only thing I’ve done,.is buy a new hose.
And I have,for 6 months ago bought a smaller Bosch to the stairs.
But Miele for the rest of the house.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Came across this just now … thanks to Elmer Gillet on Facebook who opines “Dyson DC 45 - British electronics pioneer introduces first tonearm. Vaccum controlled turntable will follow this winter.”

2 Likes

I can honestly say, without shadow of doubt, that you should never get a bagless vac. We have one (a Vax) that we’ve had for a number of years now and I can honest say, without a shadow of doubt, that it is a massive pain in the a**e. It’s messy, unhygienic, inconvenient and just plain ghastly. The Vax itself is very durable and reliable - no problems there - but it’s the cleaning and emptying that is such a pain.

I’d go with a bagged cleaner every time. It’s easy and quick to remove, seal and dispose of the bag and put a new one in. You can order the bags online these days, so there is very little in the way of inconvenience with a bagged cleaner.

Really, our friends’ advice above is what I would echo so I won’t repeat it here. Alternatively, I’d stick with the Miele as they’re built to last. I’m a Miele fan, so I’m biased :slight_smile: