Core backup to USB drive

Hi,

I recently did a backup from my Core’s internal drive to an outboard USB hd by way of my network. All the cd’s and music were copied successfully except no cover art shows for any.

I’m using a laptop with Windows 10 installed, and cd’s were originally ripped in WAV on the Core.

Is there a particular Windows 10 setting on the laptop itself or on the Core, as viewed on the laptop, that I need to attend to?

Thanks for any help

If you open an album folder, do you not see the artwork file along with tracks and metadata?
If you are using an app to view/play the files, you may have fallen victim to the proprietary way in which the Core stores WAV metadata, which is not accessible to most non-Naim apps. On the Unitiserve, you could convert to FLAC to get around this issue, but unfortunately that function has, I believe, not been added to the Core.

Thanks ChrisSU,

I can see all of my Core ripped files - music and artwork- on my laptop through the network. Then I went about copying them to another hd. All seemed well in the transfer until I discovered there was no artwork present on the backups when the files were actually viewed.

I think in the future, and related to your explanation, that I will use the Core’s proprietary way of doing backups which insures that I will get an exact copy (music and artwork) of what’s in the main hd. This does involve formatting the drive specifically as a Core ‘backup’.

I guess I just wanted to know my available options, before I committed to one method or another.

Regards

If you just want a backup, I would use the Core backup facility, as I think a restore would then be easier.
If you are copying the files so that you can use them on other devices, you really need to save the as FLACs on the Core.

It’s just as Chris says.

But if you are using Naim’s own system of metadata for WAV, then it only looks “right” when viewed through a Naim app or a Naim product. So backing up WAVs on a Core to a USB drive will still leave you unable to use the backup for anything else.

Also drives are so cheap now that having a dedicated USB drive just for Core backup that will allow restoration in the future should you need to do it is a no brainer in my view.

Best

David

[quote=“davidhendon, post:5, topic:5481, full:true”]
It’s just as Chris says.

Also drives are so cheap now that having a dedicated USB drive just for Core backup that will allow restoration in the future should you need to do it is a no brainer in my view.

Thanks for your reply, I agree with the above.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.