Core connecting to internet

Yes, that is exactly what you. Output from the Ethernet port into the Ethernet port on the Core.

Yes, that’s why using an Access Point configured in Client Mode is much better.

Essentially, it’s the same as an extender but with a substantial difference: it doesn’t amplify the signal of an existing network, but instead connects to the Wi-Fi network exactly like a Wi-Fi client, allowing you to connect the device (Uniti Core in this case) via its Ethernet port.

In fact, it’s like adding a Wi-Fi card to the Core. It’s that simple, effective, and doesn’t cause any degradation or issue to the existing network.

2 Likes

Hmm, I have one for my Star in the garage. I think it does both functions at the same time. Need to check that. Cheers.

If the core is connected to the nova via a spdif cable, a simple Wi-Fi connector is fine.
It’s only using Ethernet to be controlled and look up data when ripping - rather than streaming.
I simply repurposed my old sky box Wi-Fi connector (old one was not wireless) connected to my unitiserve and Ndac.

The Core does need the internet connection when not ripping as it queues any new rips that haven’t got metadata or images and checks to see whether it’s available now. But it’s not a SQ issue of course.

Many thanks for all the input, appreciated. The situation now is that after a call to BT they will come out next week and look into running fibre into the lounge to a suitable location so I can connect ethernet. Last year they came out and wanted to dig up our patio and tunnel under a stone wall to run in the fibre (long story, but was rejected) Now it seems they can do it overground with minimal disturbance! Will update after they’ve been - fingers crossed.

4 Likes

This is what you need:

It’s a WiFi bridge. Plug it in to your Core and use it anywhere your WiFi reaches (equivalent to an ethernet connection to your router).

Update: BT Openreach came out yesterday and hooked up fibre with the terminal relocated into the lounge. Core is connected to the router by ethernet cable and all working fine. Happy days!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.