Core hdd

Hello everyone
NAIM recommends SEAGATE PIPELINE as HDD for the UNITI CORE.
From a clarification I made, it indicates that it is an old drive, and for sight it does not appear on the SEAGATE product page.
The drive is currently recommended by the company and is designed for NAS called IronWolf 2 TB.
Can someone who recently acquired CORE share what drive they use within CORE?

They are still available on Amazon, they were designed for very quiet usage and video surveillance use, so are very reliable. Unless you put the Core into standby, the hdd will spin forever…!

I use a Toshiba E300 Low energy HDD in my Core. It has worked flawlessly (hope I don’t jinx myself here), and is quiet enough to be used with the Core on the rack just behind where I sit.

Thank you for your detailed reply. However, I still have no information - can the model I mentioned (IRONWOLF ׂ) be a replacement for the old drive, recommended by NAIM.
RICHARD,
You raised an interesting point here-
“Manufacturer recommendations” are either an option only or are they mandatory, without any possible option?
Certainly, in terms of cost - TOUSHIBA / TEAC / SANSUNG drives etc. are a convenient option compared to SEAGATE, however, does using a drive outside the “manufacturer’s recommendation” not result in inferior sound quality? (Not that I have ever heard differences between drives …)

I think that with the original recommendation, it was a drive that was available, and worked well and reliably, so could be recommended. But Naim likely could not do an exhaustive test on all the drives on the market, they just wanted to be able to recommend one that they knew would be fine. I had the E300 going spare and so used it. I did ask Phil H whether it would be OK, and IIRC he couldn’t see any reason why not. As it turned out it’s fine.

If you’re concerned then you could always email Naim for their current advice. Or else, as you are doing with this thread, finding out what other Core users have used.

Phil Harris said that NAS drives were not ideal because, to paraphrase, NAS drives were intended to serve large numbers of concurrent users and wouldn’t waste processing power trying to overcome an error if it encountered one. So he recommended the 24hour video surveillance type of drive and there is a Seagate replacement, but I forget what it’s called.

I don’t think sound quality is really the issue here though because they should all work well. The key points are about noise and to a lesser extent heat generation because the drive runs 24/7 unless you put the Core into deep sleep.

That’s why I use SSD.

Best

David

1 Like

Yes, as David explains above, drives specifically optimised for NAS drive use should be avoided.

1 Like

Thanks friends,
You saved me $ 125 by buying a drive for NAS (IRONWOLF)
So what remains is -
Order the recommended drive on Amazon - which can be a problem without the manufacturer’s warranty …
Or look for another drive.
I would love for recommendations from forum members who use CORE

I think the current Seagate video surveillance drive is called SkyHawk. I remember Phil telling me that that would be ok to use in the Core.

How big do you need it (how many albums?)

Best

David

Yes the Skyhawk should be fine and again is on the river at reasonable prices.

Thanks David,
From your previous response, I realized that the model is SkyHawk 2TB
ST2000VX008.
I have a little less than 1000 CDs, so I think 2TB will be enough to store them on the drive.

I store mine as WAV and 500 albums is less that 500 GB, so 1000 will easily fit on 1TB and if you use FLAC then you will get maybe 50% more than if you use WAV.

ITB SSD is not too expensive (there was a guy on the forum the other day who had put a 12TB SSD in his Core. Now that will have been expensive!)

Best

David

P.s,
I loved the long-haired Persian on the speaker.
I guess his gurgling adds to the low frequencies …

Actually it’s a she and she’s a Maine Coon not a Persian. She doesn’t risk going up there these days, I’m glad to say, as she weighs over 6 Kgm and that’s a lot of wobble when she launches off!

Best

David

In my past I raised 2 generations of mixed Persian cats,
Today, after the children have left home, I crave Rag doll, who reaches adulthood to 20/24 pounds.And the bonus - no hairballs all over the house…
One thing is for sure - he will not sit on the speakers…

Does SSD sound different from a HDD?

My elder daughter has two rag doll cats. The bigger of the two is only 8 months old and weighs 5.5 Kgm already which is 12 pounds about. He’s got two or three years of growing ahead of him!

Best

David

I have run both and can’t say I noticed any difference, except that SSD is totally silent and the Core runs cool.
Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.