CORE storage

FWIW, I tend to keep Core rips and downloads or rips down on other devices (e.g DVD-A rips) completely separate. Internal storage on the Core is just for discs ripped on the Core. Anything else goes onto a removable USB storage device. It makes additions, edit and deletions very easy via the Lenovo laptop I dedicate for use for anything music related.

1 Like

Yes there are lots of ways of using storage with the Core, which is one of the advantages of it.

But this isn’t the first time I have heard that Naim support advised someone that you could only do things to the downloads folder by taking the SSD out of the Core and connecting it to a computer, so someone in the Uniti support team needs some training!

Best

David

1 Like

Hi Richard, I keep my music on a Samsung SSD within the Core, mainly consisting of a large number of classical high-res online purchases. I thought the advantage of the Core lay in having the music stored inside the Core to reduce the number of connections/route the music has to take to be played? Any deterioration in sound doing your method?

In theory there shouldn’t be any difference, although it may depend on the type of external usb storage (psu demand etc…) but I admit I haven’t done any comparison. I just like to keep things separate and keep things simple.

1 Like

On my US, I see no need to use external storage, and I edit the contents of the downloads folder via a laptop. Not that there’s anything wrong with storing downloads elsewhere - the beauty of all UPnP servers is that they can access music folders located pretty much anywhere on your network.

is there a list of low RF noise SSD drives approved by Naim

Naim just recommend the Samsung SSD 850 EVO which has been superseded by the 860 EVO.
Best

David

Davidh1: just picking up on your earlier point. My experience is largely on downloads, so I don’t have experience of the reliability of the metadata from ripped CDs. I listen almost exclusively to classical music and find that the metadata on many downloads has to be edited so that it appears as you would wish when using the Core with the Naim app. It’s very frustrating, but I can’t see any way that situation will change. I use Jaikoz to edit a download on my computer before transferring it to the drive in my Core.

Maybe they didn’t know you are trying to delete it from the Downloads folder, as opposed to trying to delete files ripped from cd by the Core?

In that case the answer would be even more wrong because you aren’t allowed to delete files that are ripped by the Core except through the app. If you did connect the SSD to a PC and try to do that, you would find all the ripped files are protected.

And there is a current bug that stops some ripped CDs from being deleted, which is fixed in the next firmware release. So that would have been wirth a mention…

Best

David

David, I bought a Naim UnitiServe (predecessor to the Core) because I believed it would be much simpler than doing rips and metadata editing etc etc on my own. I figured out after a while that that was not the case. By the time I set up a nas to serve as a backup…I had learned it all. And I too was frustrated with the very limited metadata capabilities of the Naim solution.

I can predict with 100% certainty that there is no ‘secret’ you’re missing, and that the dealer will not come back to you with some solution that will be entirely satisfying. The Naim metadata system is rather closed, and rather limited.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.