Cost Of Naim Kit On Standby

@hungryhalibut
Yeah right. Let’s assume you are correct.

Lets imagine a big finite pool full of water with some headroom. Lets also imagine that special bacteria live in the pool that are able to clean 5 liter of water a day to a completely clean natural state. Lets imagine two pipes. The one adds pollutants so it contaminates 2 liters of water a day and a second one contaminates 6 liters of water a day. Do you think optimizing the 2 liter pipe will improve the situation of the pool?

Yes I know you are influenced by the media to think that EVERY LITLE THING counts. But please refrain from talking negatively about me, without any understanding of the situation and original thought.

Very obvious there that optimising the 2 litre discharge will reduce the amount of pollution added to the pool daily by a quarter. Isn’t that far, far better than saying we can’t stop all so we’ll stop none, leaving to even more adverse effect and more to clear up?

It doesn’t improve the pool, but it is a distinct reduction in the amount by which it gets worse daily. It certainly isn’t anywhere near enough, but patently in your own example it is significant, and surely better to do while trying to work out how to clear up the 6 litre discharge.

So you don’t think about trying to optimize the big problem, but tackling the smaller one, that will make the situation a little less bad …. I see. It makes sense and explains how we got to where we are :joy:

That is very disingenuous. No one said anything about not trying to solve the bigger problems, or not trying to find ways of adapting other parts of our lives to reduce our own impact. The point made in the thread was that there are small things that can be done very easily, so as they emphatically do contribute, by however small an amount it makes sense to strive to do them, whether or not at the same time as trying to find bigger changes, or contribute to improvements beyond one’s own situation.

If everybody were to do all the essy/small things they can, if only because it is easy, then it adds up to a significant contribution. The trouble is, it seems there are a lot of people who just aren’t interested or can’t be bothered. Perhaps sharply rising energy costs will focus people’s minds!

2 Likes

I think I can not contribute more to this discussion without offending anyone… so everyone gets a pat on the back and participation trophy.

Feel free to feel like an awesome human for doing all the small things in your power to improve our situation. And because the others simply don’t get it …. Lets increase prices. What the heck …. Lets even introduce beatings and jail time for those standby users. They are responsible for all our troubles.

It’s a personal choice that needs to be made with the knowledge of power consumption and the associated cost - fiscal and environmental.

It’s not for anybody else to decide.

2 Likes

What a weird response. You do seem to contort everything into something that was neither said (in plain English) nor meant, but I guess you have your reasons.

2 Likes

hi,
just few weeks ago i measure the electrical consumption of my system.
one multimeter volt and another current. result -with 6 transformers on- is 40VA.
(hcdr + fc2x + cd5xs + nap200 + napsc + headline)
i’m using to switch off if not in use (TV also) during the night or for days if i’m not at home, with dedicated breakers.

Naïve

Same here😎.

I keep all my Naim gear on 24/7, other than my LED TV on standby and a router, it’s the only items that are using any consistent power. I don’t run any automotive commuters, and have never done so. My electric bill is about £15 a week. It’s no big deal, so i don’t worry about it. The cost of living crisis hasn’t really effected me thus far … and my job pays way beyond my living standards.

P.S. Meanwhile i enjoyed watching the Red Arrows display over Newport yesterday on the Isle of Wight…

It’s the transition from unpowered to a powered state that promotes stress, a great tsunami of current flooding the circuit and not really to do with temperature.
The term “warm up” is a misnomer as the phenomenon is really about stabilisation of a live circuit topography and that takes longer for components with lower power draw (eg preamps, disc inputs) which is why it’s OK to leave such stuff on if your electricity tariff is green.
From the viewpoint of atmospheric physics, further fossil fuel consumption does add to the problem but the real challenge is to take out the carbon we’ve put in over the last 100 years - that’s not a message the wider public is ready for yet.

2 Likes

I imagine most intelligent people buying an exotic car would factor in the cost of running it. I would not consider an exotic as they are generally unreliable when compared to the reasonably priced, low mileage and very reliable Japanese cars that I generally enjoy.
The costs of running an exotic car over the lifetime of the vehicle can run into thousands of dollars a lot of which can be unexpected costs, with hifi the costs are reasonably apparent at the time of purchase.

If you need to worry about the cost of running anything perhaps you need to consider the purchase more carefully, no point having a broken down Bentley parked beside your trailer home.

1 Like

As purchasers of Naim and other high quality brands we are already reducing the carbon footprint due to it outlasting the lesser brands that get thrown into landfill by the ton every day.

2 Likes

I have two SCDR, a XPSDR and a 300DR. I started turning them off every night a long time ago. During the warm weather months I don’t listen to the system much, since I prefer to sit outside with the Mu-so2 playing stuff from Roon. During the cooler months, when I turn the system on to play records it all sounds just fine after turning the PSUs on within playback of one 33RPM record side or so, IMO. I don’t even bother turning on the XPSDR unless I expect to play Roon from the NDX2, and that’s not so often anymore.

There is of course the same “consumer culture” around some audio products as all too much the norm elsewhere, however I’m not sure that much hifi falls into that category, nor that as a generalisation other hifi brands are any less reliable/long lived than Naim, while I’m sure some Naim kit does end up on the scrap heap, so I’m not quite sure that the argument holds water. However, Naim is to be commended for its continued support of even very old products as far as they can (some things limited by parts availability), though it is not unique in this regard

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.