Crazy Box Counts - Other Alternatives

I am in the same position with 272/555dr/250dr and it really sounds stupidly good. Yes it can always be better,but when the system is so well balanced, and significant improvements cost so very much more, I cannot see the point in it. Much better to buy music and go on holidays.

4 Likes

The tolerance for multiple boxes is more than just aesthetics. I think there is other psychology coming into play also.

First off, if you have decided to put any item on a proper rack, then 1 box or 6, the floor space is the same. And it’s much easier to use something that is not hovering at ankle height. Yet there are some who would rather go out of their way to have 2 boxes on a conspicously low rack than add boxes even if they can afford to do so.

Then there is the psychology of multi box systems. Do you limit it to what fits on a single rack or sprawl? Once the sprawl on mutiple racks is accepted, what are the reasons? Sure sound quality and trying to build the best system play a huge part. But again, something else is at play whether someone cares to admit it or not. I suspect there is a varying degree of wanting to build an impressive looking system (even if just to impress yourself), or wanting to validate the respect for the music by dedicating something large and tangible to it.

I certainly can admit to feeling that my system partly exists to pay proper respect to the power of music and not hide it under a bushel. Others may find those feeling foolish and irrelevant. But that is, I think, low box count psychology versus multi box psychology.

3 Likes

Hi FZ,

I immediately liked this post, like most of your contributions here. But something in the back of my mind kept me from instantly replying.
Now, with a few days in between, I can confidently say that paying respect to the work of everyone involved in the music making, recording and reproduction is very much a thing that does keep me from hiding my audio system. On the other hand, a low box count and small boxes (think shoebox size) are equally appealing to me. This doesn’t mean cheap, which I would see a sort of disrespect, but many big shiny boxes would put me in a state of uneasyness which would interfere with my listening.

1 Like

Well I think this is where personal aesthetics and placement come into play. If my preferred maker happened to be bright red with flashing lights, I might opt for just one box too.

Personally, I’m okay with multiple boxes as long as they are:

• Understated design.
  • Can be placed somewhere tasteful like the back of the room that is in shadows.

Now what constitutes “understated” design is a matter of great debate. I feel like Classic boxes with no decorative dressing or even model number tags fit the bill. Many UK designs do. Chord would be an example of the opposite “bling bling” design aporoach.

1 Like

i recently sold my nap 300 dr and got a 250 dr. Was very happy with that: one box less! the 250 dr just works better on my system and room , and i could have some cash too.
In absolute terms i loose effectively some money, i made an error buying the 300 dr . But it’s life.

2 Likes

I’m happy with my 8 boxes

13 Likes

ch precision full stack .

16 boxes!

3 Likes

And so you should be. There’s a certain understated quality of the olive fronted boxes. I had the identical set-up until a couple of years ago. Of course I still have the NAT01, but no one in their right mind would sell one of those.

1 Like

At what point does a box count become “crazy”?

I was ‘stuck’ at 3.5 boxes for a long time (SN2, HCDR, NDS, 555PS). All sat on one nice stack of Fraim.

Then the bug to hear what else the world of Naim had to offer struck, and we went to 6 boxes, plus a tt and its attendant power supply and phono stage. So now, two nice stacks of Fraim.

In our current living space, it’s fine. Some day I may well (again) go for a much lower box count, when we move house.

When you need more than one stack and the room doesn’t make two inobtrusive?

My limit are 4 boxes. I don’t want my room to look like a space lab.

1 Like

No ‘inky blackness’ there then :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve failed miserably at keeping my box count down. I hate the number of them, the space they occupy, the dust they collect and all the rest. But I love the way they sound.

At least I’ve finally got rid of all the CDs and racks, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My current system 272+555DR+300DR. It is great. Waiting for the unicorn:372 or 572 to appear. Thought many times on bringing in a 252+SCDR but them need to at a source, maybe NDX2. 6 boxes… and a second rack. I don’t have the space since my music room is my living room. I may need to divorce then.

Once you start thinking NDX2/555PS and as you already have a 3 box amp I’d be thinking that a 252/SCDR/250DR is likely a better overall amp than 272/300DR - unless your speakers are difficult to drive? Five boxes for a balanced system :innocent:

Yes, that would be an alternative. I am waiting for Munich to see whether Naim produce the unicorn this year.

If they do that will put a spanner in my longterm system planning too :sweat_smile:

you can put 6 components on this:

hifi racks uk

2 Likes

he already have 4 boxes ( 300 dr with 300 ps).