Cricket

I personally don’t agree with the action but it is professional sport which is ultra competitive.
I only played club cricket and only ever had to warn a batter to stop them overstepping.
If the rules don’t require an initial warning don’t expect professionals to do so.

1 Like

Think that’s a bit harsh, Englands been on the fortunate side of a few poor decisions in recent times that many outside of England think weren’t sportsmanlike. However it’s professional sport like it or not it’s within the rules and a bit rich to complian when it goes the other way.

Think this threads name should be changed to the “English Cricket” as it’s become completely one sided and bias imo.

2 Likes

Pete.

I don’t think you realise how difficult/expensive it is to follow English international cricket on TV here let alone any coverage of other nations. It is not so surprising that most of us aren’t engaged with other countries.

Bruce

1 Like

It’s one of those laws which has to exist to maintain good order and is normally respected as such, with warnings given as, otherwise, it becomes open season, much to the detriment of the game. The standard of the game being played is irrelevant IMV.

What goes around tends to come around…and the India team have now opened that box.

2 Likes

And yet they do. “Mankad” dismissals are very rare in international or first class cricket. Seeing a warning being given is not uncommon.

1 Like

I agree but until there is a rule change there may not be a warning issued.
It’s up to the batter to ensure it doesn’t happen.

1 Like

I was not referring to recent times … perhaps the Chappell era springs to mind. Not to mention more recent rugby matches, or indeed the odd tennis player.

I may hark back to a more amateur age, I prefer to think of it in terms of sportsmanship. In many ways professional sport has been to the detriment of a sport.

2 Likes

Stupid boy, Private Pike! I watched England bat until ~16th over when Moeen was out, as the grass needed cutting before the rain, thinking England only had Dawson as their last capable batsmen and the match was ‘lost’! Well, I should have stayed.

A very entertaining game, as Baba and Rizwan got them off to a great start which their middle order couldn’t build on and England’s top order was a case of blink and they’re gone.

Oh, and looking at the non-strikers of both teams, there could have been Mankads all over the shop…but there weren’t. This series has been played in great spirit.

3 Likes

Unusually a game of T20 where the momentum ebbed and flowed. Enjoyed it.

Bruce

3 Likes

Yes , that spirit was really noticeable .

Four matches in and they are level.

I’m in Malta :malta: from Wednesday , a few years ago I watched the England :england:/ New Zealand :new_zealand: final by the pool :man_swimming:

I think I may have to rely on my Sky Plus this time round to record and catch up

1 Like

I was at the England-India match on Saturday which, until the final (I hesitate to say ‘winning’) delivery, had been marvellously good-natured in the crowd. The support for Goswami’s final appearance, both on an off the field, was very touching.

When the final delivery came, the India supporters around us all agreed it would just go as a warning. Then when the screen showed the DRS result of Out, the booing was loud and went on for some time - I don’t know how well they disguised it on the broadcasts. The India supporters around us, having been raucous throughout were suddenly quiet and didn’t seem so proud of their team.

On the replay we saw in the ground, it looked very much like the batter had her bat firmly behind the crease until the bowler’s foot hit the crease and only then did she creep forward. I’ve got no sympathy for sloppy or cocky batters who drift forward during the run up but this wasn’t that at all.

Two MCC members I walked back to my car with were both quite appalled. I think the Chairman will be getting some letters and I hope the relevant law is reviewed carefully.

Mark

2 Likes

Watching it live the crowd ‘view’ on events wasn’t disguised at all and, judging by the large number of India supporters evident from the TV pics, it was clear the ‘feedback’ wasn’t confined to England supporters alone. Once the appeal was made it was obvious that ‘Out’ was going to be the decision (as the correct application of the law).

The Sky TV crew were taken aback and their language was carefully chosen.

3 Likes

Pakistan v England – T20 series

Pakistan with a reasonable 169 courtesy of Babar getting 87, a total which looked like it could be challenging, but England set off like they hadn’t eaten for weeks and got there in 14.3 overs, with some slow down towards the end. Had this been a 1st innings knock, they could have been heading for 250/60! The result was pretty much decided at the end of the powerplay.

It just evidences how fickle the T20 game can be. Malan got a Bakerloo Line ball but doesn’t look in great nick.

A wonderfully entertaining series now set-up for a thrilling decider (as 3-3) and there’s almost a camaraderie between the 2 teams, which is great to see.

Last game 3-30pm UK time Sunday.

1 Like

A questioning article in today’s on-line Torygraph asks why Root was playing pro-am golf in Scotland yesterday, when Yorks really needed a win in the CC, and many of the England players were playing CC cricket (esp the Surrey mob).

It seems the ECB via central contracting (?) allowed Root not to play for his county, noting how many of the current Yorks’ contracted players are in Pakistan.

Sometimes, you really have to wonder if the world has gone mad.

2 Likes

I am really glad I kept my short term Sky subscription to watch these T20i matches between Eng and Pakistan. I might almost be converted. Two good teams with different strengths and weaknesses. Salt and Hales just took Pakistan apart in the first 5 overs yesterday but I wouldn’t want to predict the decider. Great crowds, and also good that in general bowlers have been in the games rather than just being slogfests.

Bruce

1 Like

Agree – this series has shown the good points of T20, with Babar & Rizwan making hay and bowlers from both sides having done well, especially Woody with his rockets.

Thankfully, from England’s perspective, those who come after B&R aren’t as talented.

Also, unlike the IPL games, play has been quite quick, without numerous interruptions, which has kept the drama going.

2 Likes

England have selection problems. How do you leave Salt. Brook and Duckett out? Milan? Hales? Moeen? Duckett offers something really different, especially against spinners.

Stokes doesn’t make my T20 side. Buttler walks in, Bairstow and Livingstone, probably, Stokes, nope. Good problems.

Nice problem. Pakistan could do with a little of that depth, I had the impression today that once the main men went nobody in the side believed they had a chance. Some good bowling too, but they didn’t exactly go down all guns blazing.

Every time I watch Brook I want him to play all formats. He looks to have all the shots and an extra fraction of a second more time like the very best players.

Livingstone doesn’t make my team even if he is fit. I have only seen him play pretty brainless cricket. England have enough attacking batsman even right down the order to do without. Duckett isn’t even in the squad for the WC although I guess they could add him. Barstow won’t be fit after his bizarre golf injury.

Bruce

1 Like

As Pakistan players don’t participate in the IPL and their domestic T20 experience is limited in relative terms to the English players, it’s no wonder some struggle. Aside from B & R at the top, you can see the talent is there, they just need to play more ‘quality T20’ games.

It was also good for both sides (Pakistan had injuries too) to vary selection.

I was thinking yesterday if England could lobby the ICC to put a 2nd XI in to the coming T20 WC :grin:

1 Like

Not the best photo - dodging squalls - Valley of Rocks Cricket ground.

4 Likes